🚨🚨 Instant Visa Recommendations 🚨🚨 Just answers a few simple questions and get Australian visa recommendations instantly.

101 Visa – Permanent Child Visa

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448
Updated July 2024
101 Visa - Permanent Child Visa

The child visa (subclass 101) lets a child under 25 years of age who lives outside Australia to stay and live permanently in Australia with their parents. The parent must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, who has lived in Australia. The parent is eligible to sponsor their child to live in Australia for an indefinite period and the parent can apply for this visa on behalf of a child who is under 25 years of age. You will be eligible for this visa if you have met these requirements.

*Note this is on offshore application, for onshore application please see child visa subclass 802 or if the child is adopted please see Adoption visa subclass 102

Child Visa (Subclass 101) Requirements

  • The child must be dependent on their parent who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand.
  • Sponsored by a parent or their parent’s partner.
  • The child must be under 18 years of age.
  • The child between 18 to 25 years of age should be a full-time student to be eligible.
  • If the child over 18 years of age is unable to work due to a disability.
  • Be single and dependent on the parent.
  • Meet health and character requirements.

Child Visa (Subclass 101) Application Process

When you apply for this visa, the child should be outside Australia when the application is submitted and at the time of the grant.

If the child has siblings who also want to apply for this visa, they must be submitted as a separate application for each sibling.

Usually, the application is lodged by the sponsor on behalf of the child.

The sponsor should provide accurate documents and information.

Another condition of this visa is that the child can’t enter Australia before the visa is granted and ensure that they are not getting married or entering into a de facto relationship before arriving in Australia.

Once the child visa is granted the sponsor must provide support for the child, including accommodation and financial support during the first two years following the grant of the child’s visa.

The sponsor also must support the child to attend any required English language class and should help the child to settle in Australia.

Child Visa Subclass 101 Processing Time 2024

As of July 2024, the processing time for a Child visa (subclass 101) is between 6 months and 24 months.

But it might take longer to process if you don’t fill in the application correctly or you don’t include all the documents that are needed, that’s why it’s important to know all the information before you apply for this visa.

The application also can’t be processed if the applicant doesn’t pay the visa charge correctly.

Child Visa Subclass 101 Cost 2024

As of July 1st 2024, the visa charge for 101 Visa is as follows:

  • AUD 3,140 for the main applicant
  • AUD 1,570 for additional applicant aged 18 and older
  • AUD 790 for additional applicant aged under 18

There might be additional charges for health exams, police certificates, and biometrics.

The above fee is as of July 2024. Please note that the visa fee might increase in July every year.

What You Can Do As An 101 Visa Holder

If the Child visa is granted, the child will automatically become a permanent resident in Australia on the day of the visa grant.

The child and any dependent must obey the Australian laws and this visa allows the child to:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely.
  • After a certain time, the child might be eligible for Australian citizenship.
  • Can work and study in Australia from the date of the visa grant.
  • Enroll in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare.
  • Sponsor relatives to come to Australia.
  • The child can travel to and from Australia as many times as they want for 5 years from the date of visa grant.

The child visa is valid for 5 years and you should extend this visa through applying for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) before the visa’s travel facility expires, in order for the child to be able to live in Australia as a permanent resident.

Frequently Asked Questions For Child  Subclass 101 Visa

ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your questions!

  1. Can I sponsor my step child or my adopted child to apply for an Australian Child visa?
    • You may be sponsor your step child if the child is under the age of 18 years old and you are no longer the partner of the child’s parent, but you have legal responsibility for the child.
    • For the adopted child, you can sponsor your adopted child if you adopted them before you became an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent visa.
  2. What if the child is between 18 and 25 years of age and have been working full time?
    • The child must not be in full-time work and should be a full-time student when applying for a Child visa.
    • The child has started the course since turning 18 years of age or within six months or a reasonable time after finishing school.
  3. Do I need to provide a DNA test to prove that the Applicant is my biological child?
    • You may take DNA testing as evidence to show that you are the biological parent of your child or you may provide any other documents that are related to this, for example a birth certificate that shows both parent’s names.
  4. My child is under the age of 18, can I apply on their behalf?
    • If your child is under the age of 18, the sponsor or a parent may apply for their child on their behalf.
  5. What are my parental responsibilities if I am sponsoring my child for this visa?
    • If your child is under than 18 years of age, you have written consent of each person who can legally decide where the child lives, or the laws of the child’s home country that permits your child’s departure.
    • Furthermore, this needs to be consistent with any Australian child order.
  6. Should my child have to undergo any medical test for applying the child visa? If yes, should the child take the medical test before applying the visa or while the visa is on processing?
    • The child doesn’t need to take the medical test before applying for this visa. The child can take a medical test if the Department of Immigrations is asking you to provide this document.
  7. Is there an age limit to apply for a child visa?
    • 25 years of age is the limit for a child visa. If the child is over 18 years of age, the child needs to be a full time student and to prove the financial dependency to the eligible parent.
  8. Can I include my dependent children into my child visa application?
    • The child’s dependent children can be included on the application when the child apply or at any time before the Department of Immigration decide the application.
    • Dependent children of the child who apply for this visa must meet the health requirement.
  9. Should I apply the visa offshore?
    • The visa application should be made offshore. The child should be outside Australia when applying for this visa and when the Department gives the decision.

Obtaining 101 Visa in Simple Five Steps

First step: Check your eligibility

The first thing you need to do before starting the application for a Child visa subclass 101 is checking the child’s eligibility. The child should meet all the criteria and requirements for this visa.

Second step: Gather all the required documents

If the child has met all the criteria, you have to make sure the child’s passport is valid. You also can start to gather all the required documents in support of the visa application on behalf of your child.

You should provide accurate documents and information to avoid misleading information.

Third step: Apply for the Child visa

Once you have gathered all the required documents, you can start the application on behalf of your child.

As per July 2024, the application for Child Visa (subclass 101) is done through a paper-based application.

It means you need to send all required documents by postage to the Child Visa Processing Centre in Western Australia.

Fourth step: After you lodge the Child visa application

When you have lodged the application, you can upload the documents on a regular basis.

You need to monitor your application as Immigration might request further information and documentation from you.

Fifth Step: Grant permanent Child visa subclass 101

After your application has got a place for assessment, the department will assess your application for the second stage.

In this stage, they will continue assessing your application and ask you to finalize the payment. Be aware that it is suggested that you not move to Australia until after your visa is granted

Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!

Let Us Help You With Your Permanent Child Visa Subclass 101 Application

We’ve help family around the world providing high quality document work for their family member visa application.

Never risk your precious relationship with your family. Let ONEderland Consulting, the best Family Visa expert in Perth handle your case.

Contact us through the form on the side to take the first step of bringing your family to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Indah Melindasari, B.Com

Lead Migration Agent – MARN 0961 448

1300 827 159

Contact Form EN

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted.

Indah Melindasari Registered Migration Agent in Perth - Migration Agent Perth - ONEderland Consulting