103 Visa – Australian Permanent Parent Visa
103 visa is one of the permanent Parent Visa subclasses which you may consider applying for your parents. By holding this visa, your parents can live indefinitely in Australia. Your parents may also get several other advantages.
You must be residing in Australia as a citizen/permanent resident/eligible New Zealand citizen to sponsor your parents under this visa. 103 visa might be processed in years.
Read below for the complete requirements of this visa.
Brief Introduction to 103 Visa
103 Visa Australia is well known as Permanent Parent Visa in Australia. This visa allows the parents of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens to live, study and work in Australia. They can also apply for citizenship if they are eligible. The parents may also apply for this visa as a retiree, but there will be additional requirements. This visa is one of your choices to be a sponsor for your eligible parents who want to come and settle in Australia.
What You Can Do with This Visa
With this visa, you can:
- stay in Australia permanently;
- travel as much as you want for five years;
- enroll in the government’s health care scheme, Medicare;
- sponsor your eligible family to come to Australia;
- apply for Australia’s citizenship, if eligible.
Basic Eligibility for 103 Visa Applicant
As the applicant, your parents must:
- have you as their child residing in Australia as an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen;
- meet the family balance of test;
- have never applied for or held a 870 visa – Sponsored Temporary Parent Visa;
- have assurance of support;
- meet the health and character requirements;
- have health insurance
notes: the Australian government put a temporary concession for parent visa applicants. If your parents applied for the visa before 24 March 2021, but they are in Australia on 24 March 2021.
Learn more: COVID-19 visa concessions
Basic Eligibility for 103 Visa Sponsorship
As the sponsor, you must:
- be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- agree that you must provide them with support, accommodation and financial assistance for the first two years after their visa is granted;
- prove (if you’re above 18 years old) that you are the child of your parents nominated to be a parent visa applicant;
- provide assurance of support, if the Department of Home Affairs ask;
Validity Period of 103 Visa
This visa is valid permanently.
Visa 103 Cost
This visa cost from AUD 6,625 and it is payable in 2 installments.
The cost for the main applicant is AUD 4,560
The cost for a dependent applicant 18 years old and above is AUD 2,280
The cost for dependents below 18 years old is AUD 1,145
The cost may change every year in July.
There are four conditions which have a different cost/fee; you can learn more about them here: Fees and charges for visas
Visa 103 Processing Times and Assessment Process
The processing time for 103 Visa applications is subject to capping and queueing. Your 103 Visa application will be assessed in two steps:
- Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it.
- Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.
The government suggests their applicant consider applying for another visa that is approximately more expensive but shorter.
Frequently Asked Question
- Is there any possibility that I got my parent visa granted in a quicker way?
- It is most likely that your parents’ application will be subject to the capping and queueing. If you’re looking for a parent visa with quicker processing time, you may consider applying for other types of permanent parent visa such as the 864 visa or 143 visa.
- Should the processing times be my concern for applying this visa to my parents?
- It should not be your concern, but you must think about it very carefully. If the processing time is too long for you and your parents, you may consider the other parent visa subclass as suggested by the Department of Home Affairs.
- What if situations change with my parents and the visa isn’t granted yet?
- You must update it to the Department of Home Affairs. You may contact them by email and provide them with the updated information and documents.
Steps Applying for Visa 103 Australia
Before Lodging Application
Check your passport’s validity. You may consider getting help from a professional for the applications.
Gather all documents
Collect all required documents to prove that you have met the criteria, including your identity, character, your balance family test, all of your legal policies applications, certified copies and relevant information. If you include your family members (spouse and/or children), you must gather the same documents to prove that they have met the specific criteria for visa dependent.
Lodge your application
103 visas must be applied on the paper. you can submit this visa outside Australia.
If you are applying as a retiree, you must be in Australia, but you can be out of Australia when you’re waiting for their decision.
You cannot apply for this visa if you have already applied or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) or subclass 870 visa.
After lodge your application
After lodging the application, the Department might ask your parents to undergo several examinations, such as medical, biometrics, character, etc. You must also keep the Department updated on your parent’s circumstances after lodging the application.
Be noted that:
- DHA estimated that it took mostly 12 years after the applications were lodged to know if they met the criteria to be queued.
- they can’t provide the updates of your application’s progress during the processing times.
- If after the visa lodgment, you change your mind and decide to lodge another parent visa subclass, you must withdraw your 103 visa application first.
You can be in or outside Australia when receiving the visa outcome.
You will receive the visa outcome in Australia if:
- the application was made before 24 March 2021, and
- the applicant was in Australia on 24 March 2021, and
- the visa is granted before the end of the concession period, and
- the applicant is in Australia at the time the visa is granted.
If your parents don’t meet above requirements, your parents must be outside of Australia to receive the visa outcome.
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Let Us Help You With Your Australian Permanent Parent (103 visa) Application
We’ve helped both the sponsors or the primary applicant, providing high-quality document work for Parent Visa (subclass 103) applications. You had the best option for your comfort next step to live, work and study in Australia with your parents besides, and if you’re looking for any visa suggestion, let ONE derland Consulting, the best immigration Australia expert in Perth, handle your case.
Contact us through the form below to take your parents on the journey to Australia.
“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”
Maria Helen De Guzman
Bridging Visa E