461 Visa – New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary)
461 visa is also known as New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary). This visa allows you to study, work and live in Australia temporarily for 5 years. To be eligible, you must be a partner or a related family member of a New Zealand citizen who lives in Australia. Eligible family members can also be included on the visa application. If you want to learn more about Visa 461 Australia, kindly review the following requirements for eligibility.
461 Visa Brief Introduction
461 Visa allows you who are not citizens of Australia or New Zealand to live and work in Australia for an initial period of five years and can be renewed in five-year increments. This visa also requires a simple thing that you need to make sure you have a partner or related family members who are New Zealand citizens who live in Australia. You can not apply for this visa if your related family member is an eligible New Zealand citizen.
What you can do after you have this visa
- Visa 461 Australia lets you study, work and live in Australia up for 5 years.
- You can travel around or outside and enter Australia up for 5 years.
- This visa requires you to demonstrate your relationship with your family member who is a New Zealand citizen.
What do you need to do?
There is some kind of conditions that you must do for granted in this visa, such as:
- You must demonstrate your relationship with your child, spouse, or de facto relationship partner, and provide evidence to the Australian government that you are in a genuine relationship with them (New Zealand citizens).
- Provide physical evidence of your relationship with any New Zealand citizens, whether they be family or partners such as:
- Provide physical evidence of your relationship, not just for government requirements, but to demonstrate your intention to provide evidence of your relationship.
- Ensure that your family is eligible to join you in this application. Your family will not be able to apply when your visa is granted.
Criteria and Eligibility for 461 Visa
To be able granted this visa, according to Department of Home Affairs in Australia, you must meet this requirements below:
- You are not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand.
- Meet Australia’s health and character requirements
- Have your own health insurance (as you will not be eligible for Medicare or government healthcare in Australia on a temporary visa).
- If you are under the age of 18, make sure that the immigration to the country is in your best interests.
- If a previous visa holder, ensure that your visa does not have a ‘no further stay’ restriction.
Three Eligibility Categories
You might be eligible for this visa if you fall under one of the following three categories:
- Immigration status: You are a member of the family unit of a New Zealand citizen who is not an eligible New Zealand citizen and who is either in Australia on a Subclass 444 visa or traveling with you to Australia to be granted a Subclass 444 visa.
- Resident status: You are currently in Australia, hold a Subclass 461 visa or have previously held one, and are no longer part of the family unit of the person for whom you were previously granted the visa, and have not become a part of any other family unit.
- You are outside of Australia, have been in Australia on a Subclass 461 visa for at least 2 years in the past 5 years, or have significant ties to Australia that would be beneficial, and have not been away from Australia for a continuous period of 5 years or more, and are no longer part of the family unit of the person for whom you were previously granted the visa, and have not become a part of any other family unit.
- If you are applying for this visa from Australia, you need to be an eligible visa holder, for this case you need to hold a substantive temporary visa.
- You must be related to a New Zealand citizen and you do not hold a subclass 444 visa.
This is a temporary visa that is only valid for 5 years. This visa cannot be extended.
Visa 461 Cost
The cost for the main applicant is AUD $385
The cost for additional applicants over 18 is AUD $195
The cost for additional applicants under 18 is AUD $95
Be noted that the DHA Fee might change every July in each year.
Visa 461 Processing Times
This visa processing times are different each time you applied for your documents, for percentages applications it consists following below:
- 25% of applications: 7 Months
- 50% of applications: 16 Months
- 75% of applications: 26 Months
- 90% of applications: 40 Months
Frequently Asked Questions For Subclass 461 Visa
ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your questions!
- Is 461 Visa a permanent residency?
- No, 461 Visa is a temporary visa. By holding a 461 Visa your status will be temporary resident.
- Can I enroll on Medicare while holding a 461 Visa?
- You’re not able to enroll on Medicare because the 461 visa is a temporary visa, meanwhile the Medicare is available for AUstralian permanent residents and citizens.
- How long is the 461 visa valid for?
- The 461 visa is valid for 5 years.
Steps Applying 461 Visa
- Before lodging your application, ensure that you have all of your valid documents, including your passport.
- Gather all necessary documents, including:
- Police certificate from your home country
- Physical evidence of your relationship with your family member who is a New Zealand citizen
- Evidence that you are in a genuine and ongoing relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is a New Zealand citizen
- Proof of parental responsibility (for dependents under 18)
- Proof and evidence of dependency (for dependents over 18)
- Lodge your Applications
- When lodging your application, note that 461 visa applications must be applied for on paper and cannot be completed online. If you plan to travel while waiting for the outcome of your application, be sure to inform the government and bring your visa to allow for your return.
- Visa outcome
- You can be inside or outside of Australia while waiting for notification of the outcome of your application, which will be sent to you in writing, indicating whether the visa has been granted or refused.
Quick Links Related to Australian 461 Visa
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Let Us Help You With Your New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Subclass 461 Application
We’ve help family around the world by providing high-quality document work for their family member visa application.
Never put your precious relationship risk. Let ONE derland Consulting, the best Family Visa expert in Perth handle your case.
Contact us through the form below to take the first step of bringing your family to Australia.
“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”
Maria Helen De Guzman
Bridging Visa E