TSS 482 Visa To Permanent Residency
Updated April 2023
If you are now working for a company in Australia under the Temporary skill shortage visa (TSS) subclass 482 or popularly known as 482 visa, and thinking about staying permanently in Australia, then you need to know that there are some available pathways to obtain Australian permanent residency through subclass 482 visa.
Obtaining Permanent Residency through TSS visa Subclass 482
This 482 visa addresses labour shortages by allowing employers to bring in skilled workers in areas where employers can’t find an “appropriately skilled Australian worker”. The 482 visa can be a pathway to permanent residency in Australia.
Starting from July 2022, the Australian Government has put in place the new requirements which allow the 482 visa short term stream to obtain PR status.
Skilled Occupation List Applicable to 482 Visa
First thing first, you must be aware of what skilled occupation list that applies to the 482 Visa. Please see the list below:·
- Short-Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) – applies to the 482 Visa Short Term Stream.
- Medium & Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) – applies to the 482 Visa Medium Term and Labour Agreement Stream (subject to the location of the employer).
- Regional Occupation List (ROL) – applies to the 482 Visa Medium Term and Labour Agreement Stream (subject to the location of the employer.
Make sure to check your occupation to one of the above occupation lists, because it will affect your pathway to obtain the permanent residency through 482 visa.
What are the pathways from a 482 visa to permanent residency?
In general, the available pathway would be through the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) – Temporary Residence Transition Stream. However, the eligibility criteria would be different, depending on which occupation list your occupation is. Please see below:
Permanent Residency Pathway If Your Occupation is Under STSOL
If your occupation is listed on STSOL, then you must hold a 482 Visa Short Term stream. As of July 1st, 2022 the holders of 482 Visa Short Term stream now have a pathway to permanent residency under the 482 visa through the 186 visa temporary residence transition stream. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Was granted a Visa 457 (now has changed to Visa 482) after 18 April 2017;
- Existing visa 482 holders in the short-term stream;
- Reside in Australia for a cumulative total of at least 12 months between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021;
- Be employed by a person actively and lawfully operating a business in Australia when the nomination application is made;
- Must be working with the same employer for 3 years.
Permanent Residency Pathway if Your Occupation is Under MLTSSL or ROL
If your occupation is listed under MLTSSL and you do not work in a designated regional area, then you may hold a 482 Visa Medium Term Stream. The pathway is available through a 186 Visa – Temporary Residence Transition Stream with eligibility criteria as follow:
- Your occupation must be in the Medium Term list (MLTSSL),
- Have worked for the same employer for at least 3 years under TSS visa 482,
- Have worked in the same occupation for at least 3 years under TSS visa 482,
- Have at least competent English,
- Under 45 years old when applying for PR.
However, if your occupation is under ROL, there will be additional requirements to the above criteria, that you:
- have been in Australia for at least one year between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021
- meet all other nomination and visa requirements for the TRT stream
Permanent Residency Pathway if You Work Under Labour Agreement
If you work under a 482 Visa Labour Agreement stream, then the available pathway would be through 186 Visa – Labour Agreement Stream. Please see the eligibility criteria below:
- you must currently work for your employer under labour agreement
- you must be nominated by your employer
- If you’re in Australia, you must hold a valid 457 visa or 482 visa under the Labour Agreement stream
- Have at least competent English
- Under 45 years old when you apply (different age requirements might be applicable, it is subject to the labour agreement).
The other most important thing is that the employer must be willing to sponsor the candidate for permanent residency under the Temporary Residence Transition stream or the Labour Agreement stream, and must lodge a valid nomination with the Department of Home Affairs.
Applying for a Permanent Residency visa Australia may be a too complicated process to handle yourself therefore you will need assistance in applying for it. Do not hesitate to look for assistance from a Registered Migration Agent, if you are not sure to process your permanent residence application.
How long does it take to get a 482 visa?
The processing time would be as follow:
|Visa||Type of Application||Processing time|
|482 – Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)||Short-term (visa application only)||9 days – 3 months|
|482 – Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)||Medium-term (visa application only)||9 days – 77 days|
|482 – Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)||Labour agreement (visa application only)||17 days – 5 months|
|482 – Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)||Nomination||0 days – 25 days|
|482 – Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)||Sponsorship (SBS)||10 days – 83 days|
The processing time might be varying depending on the application backlog in the Department of Home Affairs and your circumstances.
How much does the visa 482 to PR process cost 2023?
The cost would depend on your 482 visa stream and which PR pathway you’re applying for. However, in general, the cost would be:
Cost for 482 Visa Application:
|Visa and stream||Type of Application||Cost for main applicant||Total|
|482 Visa Short Term stream||Sponsorship||AUD 420||Starts from AUD 2,205|
|Visa application||AUD 1,455|
|482 Visa Medium Term stream||Sponsorship||AUD 420||Starts from AUD 3,785|
|Visa application||AUD 3,035|
|482 Visa Labour Agreement Stream||Sponsorship||AUD 420||Starts from AUD 3,785|
|Visa application||AUD 3,035|
Cost for 186 Visa (both TRT and Labour Agreement Stream) Application:
|Type of Application||Cost for main applicant||Total|
|Sponsorship||AUD 420||Starts from AUD 5,600|
|Nomination||AUD 540 (no charge applicable if your employer is located in Regional Area)|
|Visa application||AUD 4,640|
The cost might change in July every year. Make sure you’re updated with the cost.
Also, it would be best to discuss with your employer regarding the payment as it might not necessarily be for you to cover all payments.
How to Calculate Your Work Experience?
For the purpose of getting the permanent residence, you must have worked for your employer or sponsor for at least 3 years of the 4 years prior to nominating you for the 186 visa.
However, if you were impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic which reduced your working hours, being temporarily stood down or put on unpaid leave, you would still be able to count these periods on time. However, your sponsor/employer must provide evidence that your employment was not terminated when you were temporarily being stood down, put on unpaid leave or had your working hours reduced.
What if there’s changes to the sponsorship?
If the sponsor for your 482 visa has changed in the last 3 years due to some reasons, such as business sale, takeover or restructuring, you might still be able to count the time you worked for the previous employer.
Can 482 visa holder study in Australia?
Yes, all streams of the Subclass visa 482 allows you to study in Australia although you will not be entitled to government assistance to cover your study costs.
Advantage of using migration agent help throughout your TSS Visa application and possible transition from 482 visa to permanent residency
If you are considering applying for the visa 482, do not risk a refusal by handling it yourself as there will be many assessments for you to fulfil the requirements of the visa especially if your goal is a pathway to obtain a permanent residency visa Australia. If you receive a refusal it will affect your future ability to obtain a permanent residency visa Australia.
A visa application requires detailed and complete applications to be granted.
Do not toy with your application, when there is a highly professional and trusted migration agent to help you avoid visa rejection.
ONE derland Consulting has years’ worth of experience in all matters of visas, including skilled and employer-sponsored programs which can lead to permanent residency visa Australia.
Indah Melindasari, our principal migration agent (MARN: 0961448), is an experienced agent with more than a decade worth of experience dealing with working and employer-sponsored visas.
As a registered Australian migration agent with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA), we are regulated in our professional practice and are bound by the profession’s Code of Conduct issued by the Migration Agents Registration Authority.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding TSS Visa to Permanent Residency
ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your subclass 482 visa questions!
- What is the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa / 482 Visa Australia?
- This temporary visa lets an employer sponsor a suitably skilled and experienced worker to fill a position they can’t find a suitably skilled and experienced Australian or permanent resident to fill.
- Who can apply for a Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) and how long will you be able to stay?
- The TSS visa has a short-term stream, a medium-term stream and a labour agreement stream. Applicants with occupations on the Short-Term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) are eligible for visas of up to two years (renewable once, for a further two years), whilst those on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) can apply for up to four years, with eligibility for permanent residency after three years.
- I am over 45 years old. Can I still apply for a Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Visa 482)?
- Yes, you can. There is no age limit for this visa.
- Is skill assessment mandatory for this visa?
- A positive skill assessment is mandatory before you can apply for this visa.
- Depending on your nominated occupation, you need to have a skill assessment by an authorized assessing authority.
- The skill assessment can be done prior to lodging your visa or during the sponsorship and nomination process.
- Can I include my family members in my application for the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Visa 482)?
- Yes. Spouses/Partners and dependent children can be included in a TSS visa application as dependent family members.
- These family members will also have unrestricted work and study rights.
- Where can I apply for this visa?
- You can apply for this visa onshore or offshore.
- You must be outside of Australia if all of the following apply to you:
- You have held more than one TSS visa in the Short-term stream
- You hold a TSS visa in the Short-term stream and you were in Australia when you applied for that visa
- Applying outside Australia is not inconsistent with an ITO.
- Meanwhile, you must hold either a substantive visa or a Bridging visa A, B or C if you want to apply onshore.
482 Visa Best Practices
Check your eligibility
The first thing you need to do before you apply for a Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Visa 482) is to check your eligibility.
This visa has two streams and depending on your nominated occupation, you need to make sure you have met all the criteria and requirements for the respective stream.
You must have a positive skill assessment for your nominated occupation before applying for this visa.
Gather all the required documents
Documents you may have to provide could include documents for your identity, character, skills, work experience, health and English language skills.
Apply for Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
Applying for Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Visa 482) involves 3 stages process:
- Sponsorship application by the employer
- Nomination application
- Visa application by the nominated employee
Grant of Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)
You can be in or outside Australia when the decision is made.
You need to have your employer’s nomination approved before the grant of your TSS visa.
With this visa, you can work in Australia for the length of your visa grant, study, and travel for the duration of the visa, and apply for permanent residency if eligible.
You will be notified about the outcome of your visa application by the Immigration Department.
Quick Links Related to 482 Visa
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Ready to start your visa application?
DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.
“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”
Maria Helen De Guzman
Bridging Visa E