485 Graduate Work Stream Visa
The 485 graduate work stream visa is made for international students who have already completed their diploma degree for 2 years or more in a registered course/institution.
For those applying to this stream, the applicant should have a specific occupation listed under the skilled occupation list (Medium and Long term skill occupation list) and the applicant should have a positive skill assessment outcome.
485 Graduate Work Stream Visa Requirements
There are some requirements that have to be met before applying 485 Graduate Work stream, such as:
- Must be under 50 years old;
- Must be the main holder of the student visa;
- Must meet Australian study requirement, e.g your course should be a CRICOS-registered course, you should successfully complete all course requirements, your study is in English, you complete your course as a result of at least two academic years (92 weeks) study, you are physically in Australia for at least 16 calendar months to complete the study, you hold an Australian study visa that allows you to study;
- Must have skills and qualification listed in the Skilled Occupation List, which means you have to nominate 1 occupation when you apply;
- Must have eligible English language skill or have a passport from the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland;
- Must have adequate health insurance;
- Must provide the health and character requirement;
- Must not have any debt to the Australian government;
- Must not have had a visa cancelled or visa refusal.
You may include your family in this visa application, which in this case is your partner and your dependent child.
The applicant should be onshore while lodging this application and the subsequent entrants can be in or out of Australia.
Graduate Temporary 485 Visa Fee
The visa fee for the 485 visa application is $1,680 AUD for the main applicant.
Graduate Temporary 485 Visa Processing Time
The processing time starts from 90 days – 4 months.
If you are granted this visa, you may stay for 18 months. Within this timeframe, you have full work and study rights, and also free to travel from and to Australia.
Frequently Asked Questions For Subclass 485 Visa
ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your questions for 485 visa!
- What is the difference of Graduate Work Stream and Post Study Stream?
- The difference is on the qualification requirement.
- The Graduate Work Stream is eligible for applicants who just finished their diploma or advanced diploma.
- While Post Study stream is for applicants who have finished their bachelor, master, or PhD degree.
- Is it mandatory to have a skill assessment when apply for the Graduate Work stream?
- Yes, it is. You need to have a positive outcome of skill assessment in order to be granted this visa application.
- If I am not meeting the criteria for IELTS requirement, what should I do?
- There are few options to be able to show your English capability. Apart from IELTS, you can try TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic, OET, or Cambridge C1 Advanced Test.
- I am holding an OSHC for my student visa. Can I use it for 485 graduate visa stream application?
- Unfortunately, you can’t. You would need to obtain OVHC as a requirement for this visa application.
- What if my visa got refused? Can I appeal?
- You would need to have a look at the refusal letter given by the Department. If it stated the decision can be reviewed, therefore you can lodge an appeal within a specific timeframe.
- How long does it take for processing the visa application for 485 Graduate Work Stream and Post Study Stream?
- 485 Graduate Work Stream processing time is between 5 – 6 months while the Post-Study Work stream is between 57 days – 6 months.
- How much the visa fee for 485 Graduate Work Stream?
- The 485 Graduate Work Stream visa fee is AUD 1,680 for the main applicant. The additional applicant over 18 years old will be charged AUD 825 and the additional applicant under 18 will be charged AUD 415.
- Should I apply the visa onshore or offshore?
- You can be inside Australia when applying for this visa. Due to COVID 19, the Department will allow the graduates to apply offshore and may grant this visa while the applicant is offshore.
- Can I include my family members?
- Yes, you can include family members in your application when you apply. Family members who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements.
- Is there any time limit to apply graduate visa?
- Yes it is, you must apply within 6 months of completion of your Australian studies.
- You must either hold a student visa when you apply, or to have held a student visa within the last 6 months.
- You must also make sure that you apply prior to expiry of your student visa.
- Will I get the bridging visa after I apply the visa onshore?
- If you apply the onshore graduate visa, before your student visa cease, you will be granted the Bridging Visa A.
- This BVA will be your valid visa while waiting the decision of the graduate visa. Usually, this BVE will allow you to work in Australia.
Obtaining 485 Graduate Work Stream Visa in Simple Four Steps
First step: Check your eligibility for the visa
Make sure you check your eligibility to see if you meet all the criteria and requirements for this visa. The requirements are depend on each visa stream.
Second step: Skill Assessment – for 485 Graduate Work Stream
You need to check with the assessing authority for your nominated occupation.
Then, apply for a skill assessment as one of the requirement for graduate visa.
Third step: Visa Application
After you make sure that you have fulfilled the requirements, you can then gather all the required and additional documents to complete and support your application.
You can apply online through your IMMI account.
Fourth step: Visa Outcome
Once the Department has determined you are eligible for this visa after the first assessment, your application will be then be placed into another queue for the second assessment.