🚨🚨 Instant Visa Recommendations 🚨🚨 Just answers a few simple questions and get Australian visa recommendations instantly.

489 Visa – Skilled Regional Sponsored Visa Subclass 489

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Updated May 2020

489 Visa Skilled Regional Sponsored Visa Subclass 489

Please note that the 489 visa is closed to new applications and has been replaced by the 491 visa.

The Skilled Regional (Provisional) Subclass 489 visa is a 4-year provisional visa which requires holders to live and work in a regional area to obtain permanent residence.

To qualify, you would need be sponsored by either a relative living in a designated area or a State or Territory Government.

The applicable occupations list if sponsored by a relative is the same as the list for the Skilled Independent visa.

If you are sponsored by a relative, you will need to live for 2 years and work full time for 12 months in a regional or low population growth area to qualify for permanent residence through the Skilled Regional Subclass 887 visa.

The applicants can either be in Australia or overseas to lodge this visa.

Applying 489 Visa through SkillSelect

  • In order to apply for a Skilled Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) Subclass 489 visa, you must first lodge an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect and be invited by the Department of Immigration to apply.
  • Once you are invited to apply for a skilled visa, you must lodge your application within 60 days, otherwise the invitation lapses.

Accordingly, it is very important that you have all required documentation prepared to lodge as soon as possible after receiving the invitation.

Criteria for 489 Visa

In order to qualify for a Subclass 489 visa, you would need to:

  • Lodge an EOI and be invited to apply;
  • Be sponsored by a relative living in a Designated Area or nominated by a State or Territory Government;
  • Meet the pass mark in the skilled migration points test – currently 65 points (as of 1 July 2018);
  • Be aged between 18 and 45 inclusive;
  • Pass Skills Assessment in an occupation on the relevant Skilled Occupations List;
  • Have Competent English or higher;
  • Meet health and character requirements.

Sponsorship by a Relative Living in a Designated Area

You can apply for a Subclass 489 visa if you are sponsored by a relative living in a Designated Area.

The relative must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen.

The following relatives can sponsor for the Subclass 489 visa:

  • Parents;
  • Brothers and Sisters;
  • Uncles and Aunts;
  • Nephews and Nieces;
  • First Cousins;
  • Grandparents.

Obtaining 489 Visa Including Family Members

You can include the following types of family members in your application:

  • Spouses, defacto partners and same-sex partners;
  • Dependent children;
  • Other dependent family members – eg parents who live with you and are financially dependent.

It is possible to include partners and dependent children after lodgement of the application, but other dependent family members must be included at lodgement.

Duration & Criteria

The visa is a 4-year provisional visa. Whilst in Australia you and your included family members can only live, work and study in an approved regional area.

The approved regional areas vary depending on whether you are sponsored by a relative or by a State or Territory Government:

  • State or Territory Government: you can only live in a Regional or Low Population Growth Area
  • Relative: you can live in a Designated Area.

Designated areas are wider than Regional or Low Population Growth areas – in particular the major cities of Melbourne, Canberra, and the Gold Coast are considered Designated Areas.

If you are outside Australia when the visa is granted, you and your family members will need to enter Australia for the first time prior to expiry of your health and police clearances.

Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!

Let Us Help You With Your Australian Visa Application

Never take unnecessary risk. Let ONEderland Consulting, the best Skilled Regional Sponsored visa expert in Perth handle your case.

Contact us through the form below to take the first step of your journey to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Indah Melindasari, B.Com

Lead Migration Agent – MARN 0961 448

1300 827 159

Contact Form EN

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted.

Indah Melindasari Registered Migration Agent in Perth - Migration Agent Perth - ONEderland Consulting