500 VISA – Student Visa Subclass 500

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448
Updated May 2020
Student Visa Subclass 500

Student Visa (Subclass 500) is a temporary visa that allows international students to come and study in Australia for up to 5 years, depending on the type and length of their studies. You must have been enrolled in an Australian education provider prior to your visa application. You must have been enrolled in an Australian education provider prior to your visa application. Normally, this can be proven by providing the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). Your application will not be processed if you do not provide sufficient evidence of any enrolment. If eligible, you will be allowed to work.

Student Visa (Subclass 500) Basic Eligibility:

  • You must be enrolled in an education or training provider in Australia.
  • You must meet the English, financial, character, and health requirements.
  • You must have a genuine intention to study in Australia.

500 Visa Requirements

There are some basic requirements that the applicant needs to meet, such as:

  1. You must be at a certain age (aged 6 or older);
  2. You must have enrolled in a course of study (evidence must be provided);
  3. You must have an adequate arrangement of welfare (if aged under 18 years);
  4. You must meet the English requirements;
  5. You must have a health insurance;
  6. You must hold a substantive visa (if applying onshore);
  7. You must have the financial capacity (evidence must be provided);
  8. You must be a genuine temporary entrant (writing a GTE letter);
  9. You must meet the health and character requirements;
  10. You must sign a statement (Australian Values).

Student Visa (Subclass 500) Processing Time:

The processing time for this visa may vary depending on the type of your study, but it can take up to 8 months to be processed.

Student Visa Cost:

$620 for the main applicant. An additional charge may apply for each dependent if you wish to bring your family with you.

What you can do with Student Visa Subclass 500:

  • You can study in Australia.
  • You can travel anywhere inside Australia.
  • You can come in and out of Australia multiple times.
  • You can work in Australia (up to 40 hours fortnightly, every 2-week period once your course starts).

Student Visa Subclass 500 Frequently Asked Questions

ONEderland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your 500 visa Australia questions!

  • Can I include my family in this visa?
    • Yes, you can include your family members in your application. You can only bring your partner and/or child who has not married yet and aged under 18. If your family members are not included on your application, they can later join you in Australia by applying as subsequent entrants.
    • You will not be able to extend for this visa. If you wish to continue your study, you will need to apply for a new Student visa. You will need to apply for a different visa if you wish to stay longer for a different purpose.
  • Can I apply for this visa offshore?
    • Yes, you can apply for this visa offshore and onshore. The same applies to when you receive the decision of your Student visa application.
  • Can I get an English exemption when I apply?
    • Yes, you can get an exemption to provide English proficiency evidence if you:Are a citizen and hold a passport of these countries: UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland, or
      • Are an applicant who is sponsored by the Foreign Affairs or Defence or part of the Secondary Exchange student (AASES), or
      • Are enrolled in a principal course of study that is a registered school course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), a course registered to be delivered in a language other than English, or a registered post-graduate research course, or
      • Have completed at least 5 years’ study in English in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland, or
      • In the 2 years before applying for the student visa, you completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.
  • What kind of health insurance should I get for this visa?
    • You will need to have an Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC) by any health insurance provider. Your health insurance must cover you since the day you arrive in Australia throughout your entire period of stay.

500 VISA Three Steps Process

Step One : Eligibility Check

First thing first: Make sure you check your eligibility to see if you meet all requirements of this visa. You then need to enrol yourself in a study course in Australia. You need to make sure that you have met the English, financial, health, and character requirements. You must prove that you have a genuine interest in studying in Australia.

Step Two : Visa Application – for Student Visa Subclass 500

Once you have gathered all the required documents, you can start the student visa application. You can lodge the visa application through the IMMI account and provide all the documents and accurate information.Once you have gathered all the required documents, you can start the student visa application. You can lodge the visa application through the IMMI account and provide all the documents and accurate information.

Step Three : Visa Outcome

The Department will give you the decision of the visa. If granted, you can come to study in Australia. If not, depending on the reason of the refusal, you can reapply or if eligible, apply for a review of the decision with the AAT.

Quick Links Related to Australia Student Visa

Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!

Ready to start your visa application?

DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Indah Melindasari, B.Com

Lead Migration Agent – MARN 0961 448

1300 827 159

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted.

Indah Melindasari Registered Migration Agent in Perth - Migration Agent Perth