Google Rating
Based on 141 reviews
Facebook Rating
Based on 171 reviews
Free Assessment - Click Here

Skilled Visa Calculator

Check Your Chance


Having only a couple months to sort out my visa, Indah was such an excellent source to have in order to process everything correctly and in a quick manner. She provided the right tools to keep the process simple and user friendly with a professional manner. I would recommend Indah (ONE derland Consulting) for anyone seeking help on attaining a visa. I know if I ever need to apply for another visa, Indah will be the first person I contact! Thanks again for all your help!
Katie Blitz
We would like to say thank you so much for assisting me with my working visa application recently. I was so thrilled when you contacted me to advise that a company offered work with them. From then, everything went so quickly. We did all the skills assessment and preparation of my visa, and it was granted less than 6 months. There is nothing I can say, except thank you for helping me achieve my dream in this beautiful country. I would now like to ask for your help again to bring my partner to Australia. Thank you for keeping me updated with the progress and any changes to the rules. I am sure that many people are very happy with your service!
Fernando Gonzales
I will be forever grateful to Mbak Indah for taking care of my permanent visa application in Perth. It got approved faster than I thought and I am now happily residing in Australia with the freedom to pursue my dreams. I found ONE derland Consulting through a simple search from the migration agent database. I chose her because I felt I could trust her and because she gave me great advice and handled my application very professionally. She keeps you up to date and it has been a pleasure cooperating with her. I fully recommend her to anyone who is looking for migration consulting services, may it be a study visa, graduate, or permanent visa. You can’t get any better advice and representation than this.
Erwin Kurnadi
Thanks God for saving my life, and again Ms Indah acted very quickly, she straight away arranged all my paperwork and applied the visa within 2 days! shall recommend your service to everyone I met in Australia!
Alan Christier

7 Steps How to Convert Visitor Visa To Partner Visa Married

7 Steps How to Convert Visitor Visa To Partner Visa Married

Seven steps for how to convert your Australian visitor visa to partner visa

By Indah Melindasari

Founder of ONE derland Consulting & Registered Migration Agent

Deciding to get married is such an exciting time for couples. Often it’s something that they’ve been talking about for a long time, sometimes it happens spontaneously and there can also be other factors that lead them to decide to tie the knot.

As a migration agent, I have many clients that are foreigners that decide to move to Australia to be with their loved one. It’s a big commitment to make as they are often leaving behind a job, family and friends and there’s always uncertainty about how things will work out, especially if they are not married to their partner. 

Maybe the couple has lived together abroad, they’ve been in a long-distance relationship for some time or, as is the modern way, they’ve met online. Sometimes the foreign partner has visited Australia before but it can also be their first time visiting Australia. 

Whatever the case, I often see is foreign partners from a country like Indonesia, Thailand and Phillipine arriving in Australia with an open mind about their future and very excited to see their Australian partner and to explore the country. Arriving in Australia as a tourist is a bit like dipping your toe in the water to see how it feels. 

Are you one of these people? You’ve fallen in love with Australia and you’ve decided to take the plunge and get married to your Australian partner but because of the international travel restrictions due to COVID 19 Pandemic, you can’t risk leaving Australia because you don’t know when you’ll be able to return. 

Alternatively, if marrying your partner is not something that you wish to do you may consider an alternative arrangement to be together. One of the visas that you may consider is a student visa, this visa will allow you to study, work part time and be with your partner in Australia. We will discuss this option on a this link.

So you decide the best option is to get married in Australia and the good news is that you can do this without having to leave the country.  In this post, I will walk you through the process of how to convert your temporary visitor or commonly known tourist visa to a partner visa on the basis of marriage – it’s more simple and straightforward than you might think. 

The steps you need to extend the visitor visa to a partner (marriage) visa (subclass 820)

In most cases you’ll need to go through seven steps to go from being a visitor in Australia to being married and having a partner visa. 

  1. Check if you have a ‘no further stay’ condition and extend your visitor visa. 
  2. Have a wonderful wedding!
  3. Get ready to apply for your partner visa.
  4. Gather your supporting documents. 
  5. Get your documents translated into English.
  6. Apply for your temporary partner visa.
  7. Wait for your new visa to be approved.

Step One: Check if you have a ‘no further stay’ condition and extend your visitor visa 

The first step of upgrading your visitor visa to partner visa is understanding No Further Stay Conditions – NFS. Australian visitor visas can be issued for up to 12 months but in most cases they’re granted for three months and in many cases there’s a ‘no further stay’ condition included. So be sure to check whether your current visitor’s visa has this and if it does, don’t worry as you can apply to have it waived or if you would prefer to have me do it for you, it’s no problem at all. 

Even if you don’t need a lot of time to plan your wedding, you should play it safe and get your visitor visa extended because it always takes more time than people think to get their next visa application in order – the partner visa. 

As a guideline, if you need more time to stay in Australia and your visitor visa doesn’t have a ‘no further stay condition’, you should apply for a 3 months visa extension. However, you would need to be careful as you need to show that you are a genuine visitor. 

You can’t state that your intention is to apply for a partner visa. As that means you are not meeting genuine temporary entrance requirements. If you still have enough time to get married before your visitor visa expires, you can do this and register your marriage as soon as possible.

I’ve written about how to extend your visitor’s visa here.

Step Two: Have a wonderful wedding!

With your visitor visa extension done, you can focus on what really matters – planning your special day. I hear so many wonderful stories from my clients about their wedding and even with the current restrictions on wedding sizes, I’m sure your stories will be amazing too.

At this point I should probably answer a common question: “can I get a partner visa without getting married?”. The answer is ‘yes’ but you have to have been living with your partner for a year so chances are you won’t meet this requirement if you have been in a long-distance relationship. 

Step Three: Get ready to apply for your partner visa

Okay, so you’re now married it’s time to focus on getting your partner visa. This is necessary to ensure you can stay lawfully in Australia, work or study as well as have access to healthcare. 

The partner visa application is a two-stage process where you will first be granted a temporary visa. After that you will be able to apply for a permanent partner visa that entitles you to live in Australia indefinitely. 

Before you apply for the temporary visa there’s a list important points that you need to make sure you comply with:

  • You have not had an Australian visa cancelled or an application refused
  • You and your partner must both be committed to a shared life together to the exclusion of all others
  • Your relationship with your partner must be genuine and continuing
  • You must live with your partner or do not live apart on a permanent basis
  • Your partner must be approved by the Department of Home Affairs as your sponsor
  • You must meet the health and character requirements

If you are worried about any of these points and would like to discuss them with me, I’m always here to help. 

Step Four: Gather your supporting documents to convert visitor visa to partner visa

I’ve made this as a separate step because it’s the biggest challenge of the whole process. If you do a really good job of documenting your relationship, there’s a good chance that you won’t need to be interviewed and your application will be a smooth process but if you do a poor job, it will lead to many headaches down the line.

You’ll need to provide the Department of Home Affairs with documents for your identity, any previous marriages, and you’ll need to get a police certificate from your home country. These documents may take some time to obtain, which is another reason why you should apply for a long extension of your visitor visa before you get married. 

The real challenge though is creating a compelling picture of your relationship to prove to the Department of Home Affairs that it’s genuine and please don’t think that just having a marriage certificate is the answer. You will need to give as much detail as possible explaining all aspects of your relationship including:

  • How, when and where you first met.
  • How the relationship developed.
  • When you moved in together, got engaged and married.
  • What you do together and with others as a couple.
  • Time you spent apart.
  • Significant events in the relationship.
  • Your plans for the future.
  • How you share financial and domestic matters.

I don’t mean to cause panic here but it’s really important to think ahead to how you will evidence these things. Taking some actions like buying a joint insurance policy or having a joint bank account even before you get married will help a lot as will taking lots of photos when you do activities together and with others. 

Step Five: Get your partner visa documents translated into English 

If English is not the language of your home country, then any documents that you need to include in your application have to be translated into English. This can be done either in Australia or in your home country and remember that there will be a cost involved that you will have to budget for. 

Step Six: Apply for your temporary partner visa

Now that you’ve done all the hard work, all that’s left to do is apply for your subclass 820 Partner Visa (Temporary). As with all visa applications, you must prove your identity and provide true information with your application. 

You need to apply and pay the visa fee on the Department of Home Affairs’ ImmiAccount website and be sure to keep a record of your Transaction Reference Number as your Australian partner will need it for their sponsorship application. Your ImmiAccount is also where you’ll receive any requests for further information. 

Once your application has been received, you’ll be given a bridging visa which will start when your current visitor’s visa expires. This will keep you lawful in Australia while you wait for your case to be decided. 

You will be required to have a health check while your application is being processed and you may also be asked to provide biometrics.  

Step Seven: Wait for your new visa to be approved

After you have submitted your partner visa application, you will be issued with a bridging visa that gives you the right to work and study in Australia while you are waiting for your partner visa to be approved. The process to get your temporary partner visa is a long one and sometimes it takes more than two years but often it takes less.

Once you have lodged your application, you should keep uploading documents to show that your relationship is genuine and continuing. You can do this on a monthly basis to keep the Department of Home Affairs updated about your relationship.

Need advice about converting visitor visa to partner visa? 

Here at ONE derland Consulting my team can advise you on the best visa option to stay safe and legal in Australia. We are offering complimentary visa consultations until 10 April 2020 for those affected by the coronavirus as a way to assist our community. Consultations can be done by phone, Skype or Whatsapp.

Ready to take that first step?

ONE derland Consulting has 10 years experience dealing with all types of visas. We will take the time to compile all documents needed and guarantee that your application is 100% ready before submitting it. 

To get started, simply click here to book an appointment with me to discuss your circumstances, I’d love to hear from you. Alternatively, please contact my team on 08 9477 5831, 03 9088 4114 and 02 9188 2065

Indah Melindasari is a migration agent registered with the Australian Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) with registration number of 0961448

Published On: April 9th, 2020 / Categories: News /

Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!

Ready to start your visa application?

DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Photo Bu Indah
Indah Melindasari B.Com

Lead Migration Agent - MARN 0961448

1300 827 159

    Your Name

    E-mail Address

    Phone Number

    Your Message

    By submitting my data i agree to be contacted.

    Related News

    BREAKING NEWS! Important Updates for Immigration following 2020-2021 Budget Allocation!

    October 7th, 2020

    Student Visa Regulation changes during COVID-19 Onshore and Offshore Application

    September 25th, 2020

    Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408) Pandemic Event Onshore Application

    September 25th, 2020