🚨🚨 Instant Visa Recommendations 🚨🚨 Just answers a few simple questions and get Australian visa recommendations instantly.

802 Visa – Child Visa Subclass 802

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448
Updated July 2022
802 Visa - What You Need To Know Before Applying For Child Visa

The child visa (subclass 802) is designed for a child under 25 years of age to stay and live permanently in Australia with their parents. The parent must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, who has lived in Australia. The parent is eligible to sponsor their child to live in Australia for an indefinite period and they can apply for this visa on behalf of a child under 18 years of age. You will be eligible for this visa if you have met these requirements.

Child Visa (subclass 802) Requirements

  • The child must be dependent on their parent who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand.
  • Sponsored by their parent or their parent’s partner.
  • The child must be under 18 years of age.
  • The child between 18 to 25 years of age should be in full-time student or eligible to be one.
  • The child over 18 years of age unable to work due to a disability.
  • Be single and dependent on the parent.
  • Meet health and character requirements.

Child Visa (Subclass 802) Application Process

When you apply for this visa, the child should be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance when the application is submitted and at the time of grant. The child can’t apply for this visa if they are in Australia on another visa with “NO FURTHER” stay condition.

If the child has siblings who also want to apply for this visa, they must be submitted as a separate application for each sibling. Usually, the application is lodged by the sponsor on behalf of the child.

The sponsor should provide accurate documents and information. Once, the child visa is granted the sponsor must provide support for the child, including accommodation and financial support during the first two years following the grant of the child’s visa.

Child Visa Subclass 802 Processing Time

The processing time for a child visa (subclass 802) is 13 to 14 months.

But it might take longer if you fill in the application incorrectly or you don’t include all the documents that are needed, that’s why it’s important to know all the information before you apply for this visa.

The application can’t be processed if the applicant doesn’t pay the visa charge correctly.

Child Visa Subclass 802 Cost

The visa charge is AUD 2,790 for the main applicant, but there is also a charge for each dependent child who applies for this visa.

The additional applicant charge for 18 years of age and over is AUD 1,395 and the applicant charge for under 18 years of age is AUD 700. There might be additional charges for health exams, police certificates, and biometrics.

What You Can Do As An 802 Visa Holder

If the Child visa is granted, the child will be automatically become a permanent resident in Australia on the day of the visa grant. The child and any dependent must obey all Australian laws and this visa allows the child to:

  • The child can stay in Australia indefinitely.
  • After a certain time, the child might be eligible for Australian citizenship.
  • Can work and study in Australia from the date of the visa grant.
  • Enroll in Australia’s public healthcare scheme, Medicare.
  • Sponsor relatives to come to Australia.
  • The child can travel to and from Australia as many times as they want for 5 years from the visa grant date.

The child visa is valid for 5 years and you should extend this visa trough apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) before the visa expired, in order to the child can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.

Frequently Asked Questions For Subclass 802 Visa

ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your questions!

  1. How do I know if I am eligible to apply for a Child Visa (subclass 802) onshore?
    • You will be eligible to apply if your child is:
      • Sponsored by you as a parent or your partner (Australian Citizen, PR, or eligible NZ citizen);
      • Single and younger than 18 years of age;
      • If adopted, the child must be below the age of 18 when the adoption is finalised;
      • A full-time student, if over 18 and under 25 years of age 18 or older;
      • And unable to work due to a disability and financially dependent on the sponsoring parent;
  2. Can I bring my child to Australia?
    • Yes you can, the child must be your natural, adopted or step child and you must be an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent visa, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. As this is an onshore application, you child has to be in Australia at the time of application and at the time of decision.
  3. How long can my child stay in Australia?
    • This is a permanent visa. It lets your child stay in Australia indefinitely.
  4. Can I include my other children in the application?
    • If the child has siblings who also want to apply, you will need to submit separate applications for each sibling.
    • However for the child’s dependent children, they can be included to the application.
  5. What is the cost of Child Visa (subclass 802)?
    • The cost starts from AUD $2,665 for the main applicant, and a charge for each dependent child who applies for the visa with the main applicant.
  6. Should I apply the visa onshore?
    • The visa application should be made onshore. The child should be inside Australia when applying for this visa and when the Department gives the decision.
  7. How much is the cost for this visa?
    • The visa fee for the main applicant is AUD 2,790 while the additional applicant under 18 years old is AUD 700, and AUD 1,395 for the additional applicant over 18 years old.
  8. How long is the processing time for this visa application?
    • There is no exact period for this visa’s processing time. If you do not fill the application correctly, it may take a longer time for the Department to give you the decision.

Obtaining 802 Visa in Simple Three Steps

First step: Check your eligibility

The first thing you need to do before you apply for a Child visa subclass 802 is to check your eligibility.

You need to make sure you as the parent and your child have met all the criteria and requirements for this visa.

Second step: Apply for Child Visa

Once you have met all the criteria and requirements, you need to start preparing documents and applying for a Child visa subclass 802 onshore.

This application is a paper-based application and has to be posted (with correct pre-paid postage) or couriered to the Child and Other Family Processing Centre.

Third step: Grant of Child Visa (subclass 802)

The processing time varies, depending on each case. According to Immi website it might take from 14 to16 months.

Once your Child visa (subclass 802) is granted, it will allow your child to stay in Australia permanently and live with the parents, study, enroll for the healthcare (Medicare) and apply for Australian Citizenships if eligible.

You will be informed about the outcome of your visa application by letter from the Immigration department.

Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!

Let Us Help You With Your Child Visa Subclass 802 Application

We’ve help couple around the world providing high quality document work for their family member visa application.

Never put your precious relationship risk. Let ONEderland Consulting, the best Family Visa expert in Perth handle your case.

Contact us through the form below to take the first step of bringing your family to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Indah Melindasari, B.Com

Lead Migration Agent – MARN 0961 448

1300 827 159

Contact Form EN

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted.

Indah Melindasari Registered Migration Agent in Perth - Migration Agent Perth - ONEderland Consulting