887 Visa – Skilled Regional Visa
Updated May 2020
Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 887) or 887 visa is for people who have lived and worked in specified areas of regional Australia on a previous, eligible visa.
Below we explain the basic eligibility to obtain 887 visa, benefits you received as 887 visa holder and more information you need to know before starting an Australia skilled regional visa application.
Skilled Regional Subclass 887 Visa Basic Eligibility
To get 887 visa, you must meet the basic eligibility:
- You must be in Australia when you apply for Skilled Regional visa, and hold the following eligible visas: subclass 489, 495, 496, 475 or 487, or Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B, after having made a valid application for a subclass 489, 495 or 487 visa.
- You must have lived for at least 2 years and worked full time for at least 1 year in a specified regional area, either in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area or in a designated area of Australia.
- Have complied with the conditions of the eligible visa you hold or have held.
Do I need IELTS for 887 Visa?
Since 887 visa has an English requirement, you must provide an English proficiency test result to show that you have met the English requirement. The test is not limited to IELTS, you can get an English proficiency by:
- PTE Academic;
- TOEFL iBT;
- Cambridge English Advance.
Benefits of Skilled Regional Visa, either for you or your family member included in the application:
- Stay in Australia permanently including work and study anywhere in Australia;
- Enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare;
- Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia;
- Travel to and from Australia for 5 years, after 5 years you will need to apply a Resident Return Visa (RRV) to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident;
- Apply for Australian citizenship when you are eligible.
Is 887 Visa a Permanent Visa?
The answer is, yes. If you hold a 887 visa, you can live and work in Australia indefinitely.
887 Visa Cost
887 visa costs AUD 415 for the main applicant, and that excludes the visa charge for family members if you include them to your subclass 887 visa application.
887 Visa Processing Time
887 Visa processing time is defined as below:
- 75% of applications: 14 months;
- 90% of applications: 17 months.
As per update on 1 July 2021, the Australian Government is assessing applications submitted before September 2020.
Please be advised that the 887 visa processing time might be longer if you provide incorrect information or if the Department needs a longer time to assess your application.
The 887 visa processing time might be longer compared to other skilled visa subclasses.
First, comparing 887 visa processing time with 190 visa processing time, 887 visa processing time is 10 months longer than 190 visa processing time which may take between 4 – 15 months. Second, if we compare 887 visa processing time with 494 visa processing time, the 887 visa processing time is around 11 months longer than 494 visa processing time which may take 3 – 5 months.
Additionally, some skilled visa subclasses processing time are also longer than 887 visa processing time, these visa subclasses are 189 visa and 489 visa. Compare to 189 visa and 489 processing time, 887 visa processing time is shorter by around 7 months as 189 visa and 489 visa might take 21 -26 months to be processed.
However, the processing time mentioned is still a predicted processing time, so it might be longer or even shorter for your visa application. Please be noted that if you provide all the required information and documentation, your 887 visa processing time might not be long.
Can 887 Visa be granted offshore?
You can be either in Australia or outside Australia when you apply for 887 visa and when the Department decides on your application.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Skilled Regional Subclass 887 Visa
ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your Skilled Regional Subclass 887 visa questions!
- What are the requirements to apply for 887 visa?
- You must be in Australia and hold an eligible visa prior to applying for the visa. You must have lived for at least 2 years as the holder of the eligible visa in an eligible area in Australia. An eligible visa is a subclass 489, 495, 496, 475 or 487 visa, or Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B, after having made a valid application for a subclass 489, 495 or 487 visa. You have to meet the work requirement and English language ability requirements.
- What are the work requirements for applying for 887 visa?
- When you apply for this visa you must have worked full-time for at least 12 months as the holder of one or more eligible skilled visas in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area, if a state or territory government nominated you for your eligible visa, or a designated area of Australia if a family member had sponsored you for your eligible visa. Full-time work means 35 hours per week. You can combine work in concurrent part-time employment to satisfy this requirement. You can work in your nominated occupation or any other occupation.
- What is the English language ability requirements for 887 Visa?
- At the time the Immigration finalises your application, you must have functional English (IELTS average band score of at least 4.5 based on the 4 test components).
- Can I bring my family with Skilled Regional visa?
- Yes, you can include your family with this visa and obtain permanent residency as well. In addition, as a Permanent Resident, you might be able to sponsor an eligible family member to come to Australia.
- Where can I apply for 887 visa Australia?
- For applications lodged before 19 September 2020, applicants have to be onshore for the grant of the visa. For applications lodged on or after 19 September 2020, you can be onshore or offshore when the decision for your application is made.
- How long can I stay in Australia with 887 visa?
- This visa is a permanent visa. You can stay in Australia indefinitely and travel to and from Australia for 5 years from the date you were granted the visa.
- How much does subclass 887 visa cost?
- This visa costs AUD $415 for the primary applicant. Additional charge or second installment of AUD $4,890 applies if any of the family member aged 18 years or older included in the application does not meet the English requirement (Functional English).
Skilled Regional Visa 887 Three Steps Process
Check your eligibility and 887 visa requirements
Before applying for Skilled Regional visa 887, check your eligibility first. Make sure you meet all the requirements and are eligible to apply for the subclass 887 visa.
Applying for the visa
After meeting all the requirements for subclass 887 visa and making sure you are eligible to apply for the visa, you can apply online and lodge your application through the IMMI Account. Make sure you provide all the right documents for the Skilled Regional Subclass 887 visa application.
Granted a visa
If you have met all the requirements for the 887 visa and your application results in a successful application, you will be granted the visa. The estimated processing times for visa 887 are usually between 16 – 21 months.
Quick Links Related to 887 Visa
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Ready to start with your Skilled Regional Subclass 887 visa application?
We’ve helped both workers and employers, providing high quality document work for their 887 visa application
Never take unnecessary risk. Let ONE derland Consulting, the best Skilled Regional Sponsored visa expert in Perth handle your case.
Contact us through the form on the side to take the first step of your journey to Australia.
“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”
Maria Helen De Guzman
Bridging Visa E