The Distinguished Talent visa lets you live permanently in Australia with your family members if you have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding Talent. Once you are granted this visa you and your family members who have also been granted this visa will become permanent residents of Australia.

Before you apply for this visa you will need to make sure that you have a valid passport or other travel documentation. If you need to apply for a new passport, you will need to do so before applying for this visa. You must be outside Australia when this visa is granted.

To apply:

  • You must have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a profession, a sport, the arts, or academia and research
  • You must still be prominent in the area of your profession
  • You would need to prove that you will be an asset to the Australian community
  • You should show that you will have no difficulty getting employment, or becoming established independently in your field in Australia
  • You will need to be nominated by an eligible person or organisation
  • You will need to meet the health and character requirements.
  • Live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • Study in Australia at either, school, college or university
  • Access some social security benefits
  • You will be able to enroll in Australia’s health scheme (Medicare)
  • If you are eligible you can apply for an Australian citizenship
  • You can travel in and out of Australia for up to five years from the date that your visa was granted.
  • If you need to travel outside of Australia after the five years once your visa is up you will need to apply for the Resident return visa.
  • You will be allowed to sponsor your relatives who are eligible for permanent residency in Australia

Unfortunately if you are younger than 18 years of age or at least 55 years of age when you apply, you must be of exceptional benefit to the Australian community.

In Order to became an asset to Australian Community

In order to become an asset to the Australian community you will need to prove that you will benefit the Australian community, socially, culturally, economically or by even raising Australia’s sporting, artistic or academic internationally. Your end settlement would not only need to contribute to the local community but also to the entire nation as a whole.

English is a must and your English skills should be at the functional level. You need to be able to cope with everyday situations and work using the English language. Please note that you will need to pay a second installment of the visa application charge if you are 18 years or older when you apply for anyone who does not have the functional English skills, once completeing the IETLS English test.

Please see the below link which will explain how you can demonstrate your English language ability.


If you are applying for this visa and you are under the age of 18 you may include the following people in your application:

  • Your parents
  • The family of your parents and dependents of the parent

If you want to include your family into your application, you will be allowed to include the following:

  • Your partner (whether you are married or in a de facto relationship)
  • Yours or your partner’s dependent children
  • Other dependent relatives

The above family members must meet the requirements for including your family members in your application; you will need to provide documentary evidence in your application of their relationship to you. Your family members must show that they meet the health and character requirements as well.

Your partner whether you are married or in a de facto relationship, and you or your partner’s dependent children can be added to your application after you have applied for your visa but before the decision has been made.

If you’re at the top of your academics, sporting or artistic game and you are well known around the world within your industry, you should have no problem when applying for this unusual pathway known as the Distinguished Talent Visa. This pathway provides a way for artists, sportsmen, academics,musician,dancer,actor and businessmen to live and work in this beautiful country.

Please contact us for further information and visa assessment on [email protected] or or call our Perth office on (08) 9477 5831.