🚨🚨 Instant Visa Recommendations 🚨🚨 Just answers a few simple questions and get Australian visa recommendations instantly.

Australian Visa Options After Corona Australia’s Borders Closed


Temporary Australian Visa Options: How does Coronavirus Affect Me with Australia’s Borders Closed?

These are unprecedented times and I’m writing to you, our clients, to reassure you that our business remains open and we are here to support you. In this post, I will outline what you can do if you are unsure of how the coronavirus with Australia’s borders closed affects your visa in Australia. I’ve also recorded a short video message summarising the situation, which you can view here.

Australia’s borders are now closed

Yesterday Australia became the latest country to close its borders to foreigners in an effort to limit the impact of the coronavirus. This means that only Australian citizens and permanent residents or their immediate family members will be able to enter the country. 

The prime minister has said “The reason for [the travel ban] is about 80% of the cases we have in Australia are either the result of someone who has contracted the virus overseas or someone who has had a direct contact with someone who has returned from overseas” 

If you are one of our clients who has been issued with a visa but now won’t be able to travel Australia, my heart goes out to you. We can only hope that this crisis situation doesn’t last too long and we’ll keep you updated as more information becomes available.

Immediate family members wanting to travel to Australia

There is an exemption to the travel restrictions for anyone who is a spouse, dependent or  legal guardian of an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Your case will depend on whether you already have a visa or not. 

If you don’t have a visa, you have to apply for one and if it is granted then you can travel to Australia. On arrival you will have to self isolate at home or a hotel for 14 days. 

If you have a temporary visa, you may be able to travel to Australia if you can produce the correct documentation. If you would like a free consultation with me to discuss your case, please click here

If you have a partner or child visa you are able to travel to Australia. On arrival you will have to self isolate at home or a hotel for 14 days.

Temporary visa holders in Australia 

If your visa is due to expire it’s important that you apply for a new visa as soon as possible. You may be able to get a bridging visa which will allow you to stay in Australia. 

If you have less than two months left on your visa with a ‘no further stay’ condition, because of the coronavirus situation, it’s possible to have this waived. If you would like me to assess your case, please book a free consultation here.

If your visa contains condition 8558 (non-resident cannot stay for more than 12 months in any 18 months period) and your visa has expired, you need to apply for a Bridging E visa (BVE) immediately in order to become lawful. If your visa has not expired and you would like to learn more about your options for a new visa, please book a free consultation here.

Student visa holders 

In some good news for international students, the government has announced they can  extend their working hours above the usual 40 hours per fortnight limit. This applies to students already employed at the major supermarkets and Commonwealth-funded aged care providers. Kindly note that only approved employers are allowed.    

Your other important visa questions with Australia’s border closed

1. What if I can’t enter Australia before the Australian Government closes its border?

For temporary visa holders, you have to apply for a new visa once the travel restrictions are lifted. Permanent visa holders should contact the departmental office which granted their visa, but only when they are able to travel.

2. What if I can’t provide additional information due to office closure (Health or Police clearances, Biometrics, English Language Testing)?

You will be given additional time to complete checks and provide requested information. You do not need to contact Immigtration to ask for an extension while the relevant services are unavailable. 

3. What if I can’t return to Australia before my visa expires and want to return?

You will need to apply for a new visa once the travel restrictions are lifted.

4. What if I can’t return to Australia in time for my new visa which requires me to be in Australia at time of application or grant?

You will need to apply for a new visa once the travel restrictions are lifted.

5. What if I can’t complete the Australian Study Requirement or periods of stay under the regional initiatives for Temporary graduate visa holders?

These situations are being considered on a case-by-case basis.

6. Where can I find out more information about the travel restrictions?Please check the government’s coronavirus website regularly:


How ONEderland is responding to the crisis

Over the past week, my staff have received so many emails and calls from you about what to do in this lockdown situation we now find ourselves in. As I said at the start of this post, we are in an unprecedented, awful situation. 

I’m sorry if we have not returned your calls or replied to your emails. We are having our own challenges in managing coronavirus precautions with our staff. 

Secondly, we’re here to help, whatever your concern is, please email me on [email protected] or call me on 08 9477 5831, 03 9088 4114 & 02 9188 2065

Thirdly, because of the severity of the situation, we are offering free consultations until the 3rd of April 2020. I can’t guarantee a same-day service but we will do everything we can to speak to you as soon as possible over Skype, WhatsApp or the telephone. 

Our business exists because of you and now it’s our turn to step up for you when it matters most.    

Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!

Ready to start your visa application?

DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Indah Melindasari, B.Com

Lead Migration Agent - MARN 0961 448

1300 827 159

Contact Form EN

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted.

Indah Melindasari Registered Migration Agent in Perth - Migration Agent Perth - ONEderland Consulting