Requirements To Become An Australian Citizen
Have you lived in Australia for the past 4 years as a permanent resident? If the answer is yes, then you may be eligible to become an Australian Citizen.
To become an Australian citizen you not only need to have lived the past four years as a Permanent resident in Australia, you need to also meet other certain requirements.
Those requirements to become an Australian citizen are:
- That you are a permanent resident at time of application and time of decision
- That you meet the residence requirements – You must have lived 4 years as permanent resident in Australia and have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.
- That you meet the Character Requirements
- That you have basic English language capability
- That your intentions are to reside in Australia and have a continuing association with Australia
- That you have knowledge and understand the responsibilities and privileges that come with Australian Citizenship. For example voting. Voting is compulsory for all citizens of Australia.
Once you have applied for your Australian Citizenship, you will be asked to attend a citizenship appointment.
You may be interviewed or asked to sit the citizenship test.
Australian Citizenship Test
Before you are able to become an Australian citizen, you need to pass the citizenship test.
The citizenship test will determine if you have:
- A basic knowledge of the English language
- An adequate knowledge of Australia and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship
- An understanding of the nature of their application.
Questions in the test are based on the topics:
- Australia and its people
- Australia’s democratic beliefs, rights and liberties
- Government and the law in Australia.
Once your application has been approved, you will need to attend a citizenship ceremony and make the Australian Citizenship Pledge.
Applicants under the age of 16 do not need to attend a ceremony.
If you are required to make the Pledge, you must do it within 12 months of being notified of your application being approved.
So what is the pledge to become an Australian citizen you ask?
The Australian Citizenship Pledge is a statement of commitment to Australia that is made in public.
It entails that the applicant is accepting of the responsibilities and privileges of having citizenship.
The pledge is made by the applicant at the ceremony in public.
You can choose between two versions of the Pledge, one that mentions God and one that does not. They are as follows:
- From this time forward, under God, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.
- From this time forward, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people, whose democratic beliefs I share, whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.
After you have made the Pledge, you will be an Australian citizen and you will receive your citizenship certificate at your ceremony after making the Pledge.
I want to become an Australian Citizen, Where Do I Start My Australian Citizenship Application?
Are you thinking of applying for the Australian citizenship?
Do you want to discuss your eligibility to become an Australian citizen?
Do you have any questions about procedure of getting Australian citizenship?
We got the answer for you!
You have an aspiration to become an Australia citizen? We have a way to get you there!
ONE derland Consulting is the most prominent Migration Agent in Perth and we strive to achieve the most preferable Australian Visa outcomes for all our clients.
With more than thousands of Australian Visa and Australian citizenship case approvals, our results speak for themselves.
Should you be worrying about your chance of being an Australian citizen, we will make some recommendations for you based on your current circumstances and budget.
The first step to your Australian migration plan is as easy as sending your question to us at [email protected] or calling our professional team at 08 9477 5831 (Perth), 02 9188 2065 (Sydney) and 03 9088 4114 (Melbourne)
Once our professional team are done assessing you after your initial call, you can book an appointment with Indah Melindasari, our registered migration agent to discuss and determine the best plan for you to obtain Australian citizenship.
Our registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari has more than 8 years of extensive experience handling various cases of Australian visas.
With registration number of 0961448, Indah and the ONE derland Consulting team abide to the regulations estabilished by Migration Agent Registration Authority to ensure our clients Australian visa cases are being handled by the right person.
From the appointment, you will gain valuable insight and an actionable plan for getting you your Australian citizenship.
Don’t risk your chance of becoming an Australian citizen, book your private appointment now!