173 Visa – Contributory Parent Temporary Visa

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448
Updated May 2020
Obtaining a Contributory Parent Visa (Temporary) Subclass 173

This is a temporary visa for a parent to be sponsored by a settled child in Australia, who is as an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. You can live, work or study in Australia for two years. After this visa is granted, you can then move on to apply for the Contributory Parent Visa Subclass 143, to reside permanently in Australia.

Contributory Parent Temporary Visa Subclass 173 Basic Eligibility

You must be sponsored by an eligible child who is an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, and is settled and usually resident in Australia. If your child is under 18 years old, then an eligible relative or community organisation can sponsor you;

You must meet the balance-of-family test;

You must meet all visa conditions and meet the health and character requirements.

How Much Contributory Parent Visa Subclass 173 Visa Cost?

Contributory Parent Visa Subclass 173 Visa Fee to The Department of Home Affairs

This visa costs from AUD 31,930 per applicant.

There are two instalments for this visa. You have to pay the first instalment when you apply, and you can pay the second instalment when The Department of Home Affairs asks you to.

Besides the above payment, you might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics, if there is a request for your application.

ONE derland Consulting Agency Fee

Our agency fee costs for Contributory Parent visa around $4,500 AUD – $6,000 AUD plus GST per applicant, depending on the case complexity.

Conditions of this 173 Contributory Parent Temporary Visa

Condition 8502 – You must not enter Australia before your child or relative as your sponsor has entered Australia.

Please do not arrange to move to Australia until your visa is granted because the Department of Home Affairs will let you know the decision of your application.

The processing time for Contributory Parent Visa application

This visa takes approximately 3 to 3.5 years to process. If you do not fill the application correctly, the processing time might be longer.

Frequently Asked Questions For Contributory Parent visa Subclass 173

ONEderland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your questions!

  • What does it mean with the balance of family test?
    • As that is one of the basic requirements for applying Contributory Parent visa subclass 173, it means that you must have at least half of your children and step-children are eligible children, or there are more eligible children living in Australia than any other single country.
  • How much is the real cost for Contributory Parent visa?
    • The visa fee paid to the Department of Home Affairs starts from AUD 31,930 and they will provide you with two installments.
  • Can I stay longer with Contributory Parent visa?
    • This visa allows you to stay in Australia for two years only, but you can stay permanently by applying for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) before your subclass 173 visa expires.
    • Please kindly check your eligibility before you apply for visa subclass 143.
  • Who can sponsor me for Contributory Parent visa?
    • You must be sponsored by an eligible child who is a settled Australian citizen, Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen.
    • They are settled if they have lived lawfully in Australia for at least 2 years, while the Australian citizen are considered to be a settled one after 3 months staying legally in Australia after their citizenship.
  • Am I eligible for Contributory Parent visa if I have a visa refusal in the past?
    • The previous refusal might have specific reason on why your previous application was rejected.
    • Basically, you still can apply for the Contributory Parent Temporary Visa Subclass 173 as long as you meet all the requirements and you have an eligible sponsor.
  • Should I be onshore when applying for this Contributory Parent visa?
    • You can be in or outside Australia when applying for this visa.
    • However, you would need to be outside Australia while the Department gives you the decision.
  • Can I include my family member in my application?
    • Yes, you can include your family members to your application when you apply.
    • They would need to meet the character and health requirements as well.
  • Does my child as my sponsor need to provide Assurance of Support (AoS) for this application?
    • As this is the temporary visa, the sponsor doesn’t need to provide AoS.

Obtaining Contributory Parent visa subclass 173 in Simple Six Steps

First step: Check your eligibility and visa requirements

Before applying for this visa, you have to check your eligibility and make sure you have met all the requirements for the application.

Some of the basic requirements are that you must meet the balance-of-family test and you must be sponsored by an eligible child who is a settled Australian citizen, Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen.

Second step: Apply for the visa

After you’ve met the requirements and gathered the documents completely, then you are welcome to apply for this visa on paper. You can inside or outside Australia, but once the department decides on your application, you must be outside Australia.

The Department provides you with two installments for this visa, and you should pay the first installment when you apply, while the second installment shall be paid once the Department asks you to.

Third step: First assessment

There will be two assessments for this visa. The first assessment will be done by the Department to check your eligibility and place your application in a queue.

Having all your documents completed before submission will minimize the processing time of your application.

Fourth step: Wait for a place to become available

Once the Department has determined you are eligible for this visa after the first assessment, your application will be then be placed into another queue for the second assessment.

Fifth Step: Second Assessment

After your application has got a place for assessment, the department will assess your application for the second stage.

In this stage, they will continue assessing your application and ask you to finalize the payment. Be aware that it is suggested that you not move to Australia until after your visa is granted.

Sixth Step: Visa grant

You must be outside Australia while your Contributory Parent visa is being decided upon. Unfortunately, the Department does not provide processing times for subclass 173 visa as the applications for this visa are subject to capping and queueing, and it might take several years.

Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!

Ready to start with your 173 visa application?

To apply for subclass 173 visa is time consuming and pricey. Once you feel that you are eligible for this visa, please engage us to be your migration agent to take care of your application so you will not experience refusal of your visa application.

ONE derland consulting will take the time and compile all documents needed and guarantee that your application is 100% ready before submitting, ensuring a positive outcome for your Contributory Parent Visa – subclass 173 application.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Indah Melindasari, B.Com

Lead Migration Agent – MARN 0961 448

1300 827 159

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted.

Indah Melindasari Registered Migration Agent in Perth - Migration Agent Perth