Google Rating
Based on 141 reviews
Facebook Rating
Based on 64 reviews
Free Assessment - Click Here

Skilled Visa Calculator

Check Your Chance


Having only a couple months to sort out my visa, Indah was such an excellent source to have in order to process everything correctly and in a quick manner. She provided the right tools to keep the process simple and user friendly with a professional manner. I would recommend Indah (ONE derland Consulting) for anyone seeking help on attaining a visa. I know if I ever need to apply for another visa, Indah will be the first person I contact! Thanks again for all your help!
Katie Blitz
We would like to say thank you so much for assisting me with my working visa application recently. I was so thrilled when you contacted me to advise that a company offered work with them. From then, everything went so quickly. We did all the skills assessment and preparation of my visa, and it was granted less than 6 months. There is nothing I can say, except thank you for helping me achieve my dream in this beautiful country. I would now like to ask for your help again to bring my partner to Australia. Thank you for keeping me updated with the progress and any changes to the rules. I am sure that many people are very happy with your service!
Fernando Gonzales
I will be forever grateful to Mbak Indah for taking care of my permanent visa application in Perth. It got approved faster than I thought and I am now happily residing in Australia with the freedom to pursue my dreams. I found ONE derland Consulting through a simple search from the migration agent database. I chose her because I felt I could trust her and because she gave me great advice and handled my application very professionally. She keeps you up to date and it has been a pleasure cooperating with her. I fully recommend her to anyone who is looking for migration consulting services, may it be a study visa, graduate, or permanent visa. You can’t get any better advice and representation than this.
Erwin Kurnadi
Thanks God for saving my life, and again Ms Indah acted very quickly, she straight away arranged all my paperwork and applied the visa within 2 days! shall recommend your service to everyone I met in Australia!
Alan Christier

Differences of Working Holiday Visa Australia

Differences of Working Holiday Visa Australia

Difference between Working Holiday & Work and Holiday Visa in Australia

What are the differences between the Working Holiday (subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas?

Do you know the differences between Working Holiday Visa subclass 417 and subclass 462?

Are you a bit lost with the differences of the 417 and the 462, as mentioned above? Are you eligible for one or the other? Are the requirements same for both? So many questions, but don’t stress, we can answer them for you!  

Both of the visas will allow non-Australians to enter Australia on a working holiday, but will have slight differences. To start, who can apply (as of July 2019) ? 

  • The Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa is open to people with passports from the following countries: 
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Republic of Cyprus
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Hong Kong – Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
    • Republic of Ireland
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Republic of Korea
    • Malta
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Sweden
    • Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport)
    • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • The Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa is open to the passport holders listed below: 
    • Argentina
    • Austria
    • Chile
    • China, People’s Republic of
    • Czech Republic
    • Ecuador
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Indonesia
    • Israel
    • Luxembourg
    • Malaysia
    • Peru
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • San Marino
    • Singapore
    • Slovak Republic
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Thailand
    • Turkey
    • Uruguay
    • United States of America
    • Vietnam

Is your country of passport listed above? If yes, keep scrolling down for more information. If not, contact us to find out more options for holiday or working visas.

Differences of Working Holiday Visa : How the requirements vary between the two?

  • Educational Requirements

The Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa has a certain educational requirements, while the Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa does not have education requirements. The minimum education required depends on the country of passport. 

Generally, minimal education requirements for the subclass 462 is a tertiary qualification or proof of completion 2 years of undergraduate university study. These are acceptable tertiary qualifications includes higher degrees, graduate diplomas, graduate certificates, etc. 

There are also a few special cases. For example, an applicant with Thailand passport must have completed military service or have a proof of exemption from military service.  United States of America applicant must have a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or equivalent.

  • Letter of Support for Home Government

Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa requires a letter of support from your home country’s government (unless you are from the U.S.), while Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa does not require you to retrieve this letter from your home country’s government.

For some countries, an acceptable supporting letter may be a letter of introduction from your tertiary institution or Good Conduct Certificate. 

  • Functional English

Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa also requires proof that you have functional English, while Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa does not require you to show functional English. Proving functional English can be done in a few ways: 

  • Hold a valid passport issued by USA, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland.
  • A successfully completed English Bagrut exam at the level of 3 study units and you are a citizen of if holding an Israeli passport.
  • IELTS – An average band score of at least 4.5 (or equivalent).

Differences between working holiday visa

How long can you continue to stay in Australia on the Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa and the Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa?

This is one of the most important similarities between the two visas. 

Anyone holding a Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa may be eligible to apply for a second and third year working holiday visa if they meet the requirements for certain work in a specified area in Australia. 

The same applies to Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa holders, who can now apply for a second and third year work and holiday visa, as long as the specified work and area requirements are met. 

For the second year of the 462, the applicant must have completed 3 months of specified subclass 462 work on the first Work and Holiday visa on or after 18 November 2016. For the third year of 462 program, an applicant must have undertaken 6 months of specified subclass 462 work, starting from 1 July 2019 on the second year of the visa. For the 417, requirements for the third visa is the same as the 462, however there are no dates set for the completion of 3 months of specified on the first Work and Holiday visa. 

Another distinction to note between the two are the designated specified work, which differs significantly with the 417 covering more areas across the country. 

You may think that as long as you have met the specified work requirement you are good to go. But even though being one of the easiest visa to apply for, the department is very strict on assessing the second and third visa applications. If you have any doubts whatsoever, do not hesitate to use professional help instead of loitering around multiple forums filled with plenty of unqualified recommendations and hearsay.

What can you do to increase your chances to stay in Australia after the completion of your Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa or the Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa?

Well first off, the numbers for visitors that come to Australia every year is in total over 3 million, this number has been steadily increasing by tenfold every year and is continuing on the same trend. 

Many of these visitors come to Australia on a Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa or Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa. Not long after arrival they will fall in love with the weather, the activities, the culture and the people of Australia. The question that everyone is asking here is how can they obtain a suitable visa to continue to stay in Australia permanently, or in other words permanent residency?

I have listed below some tips of the pathways to obtain a temporary or permanent visa. This does not mean you will meet all the requirements for your visa of choice, but it can be a helpful tool to get you up to a par:

Working Tips

Differences of Working Holiday Visa

  • You should not just take on any job for an income, the more important factor to take into consideration would be to find a job that relates to your specific qualifications, employments, or interests.
  • If you must take a job for financial reasons, do so. Please keep job search going on for more suitable opportunities to match up with what you need
  • Have a schedule for job seeking (for example, you could walk the block in the mornings and search online in the afternoons)
  • Have a well prepared resume with your full details, including qualifications and specific abilities
  • Having the right attitude in the interview with potential employers can make all the difference (for example, the “Yes, I can” attitude can boost your confidence, as well as the interviewer’s impression)
  • Always dress to impress for the interview, no matter what the position is

Studying tips

  • Enroll in some Diploma courses that could lead to potential employment and sponsorship, meaning courses that could get you an occupation listed on the STSOL or MLTSSL, or even ROL
  • Do you already have a degree? Try to begin with the skill assessment procedure early, as it can take some time to process.
  • Have a complete strategy planned out as soon as you decide to continue to reside in Australia
  • Have a copy of your qualifications, transcripts and all work references from your home country

The most important step that you could do to help obtain more answers and pathways available to you, is to arrange a meeting with an experienced migration agent, as I have personally heard stories of people having obtained incorrect information from other unreliable sources, getting their visa refused.

And that’s the difference between Working Holiday Visa Australia.

What the best chances for my Working Holiday Visa?

Lots of Working Holiday Visa get refused because of a lack of information or misinformation.

As a migration agency lead by a registered migration agent, we advise you to gather information from the expert who fully understands the intricacies and complexities of the Australian Visa application.

ONE derland Consulting with more than 8 years experience would like to help you to craft a well thought out visa application with minimal risk of refusal.

By going through an appointment with our lead migration expert – Mrs. Indah Melindasari, you will gain professional insight and actionable migration plan specifically created based on your circumstances.

Many of our clients have benefited from our extensive experience dealing with different types of visas and complex refusal cases.

To find further information on your options and eligibility for a Work and Holiday (subclass 462) or Working Holiday (subclass 417) please contact our office on (+61) 8 9477-5831 or email: [email protected].

Published On: October 6th, 2016 / Categories: Visitor Visa_en, Working Visa_en /

Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!

Ready to start your visa application?

DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Photo Bu Indah
Indah Melindasari B.Com

Lead Migration Agent - MARN 0961448

1300 827 159

    Your Name

    E-mail Address

    Phone Number

    Your Message

    By submitting my data i agree to be contacted.

    Related Posts

    Australian Visa Regulation Changes July 2020

    June 22nd, 2020

    FAQ Impact Coronavirus to Australian Visa

    March 24th, 2020

    Updated Regulations Work & Holiday Visa 462 & Working Holiday Visa 417 Holder After Australia Bushfires

    March 12th, 2020