GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Overview
This visa program targets the brightest and best global talent which specialised in seven future-focused sectors to help Australian innovation and tech economies grow. The seven targeted sectors are:
- Space and Advanced Manufacturing
- Energy and Mining Technology
- Cyber Security
- Quantum Information, Advanced Digital, Data Science and ICT
With this program, highly skilled workers will be given an opportunity to be an Australian Permanent Resident.
This program has only 1 visa subclass, which is a Distinguish Talent Visa subclass 858. This visa is for people with recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in the abovementioned seven targeted sectors. Subclass 858 is to be applied in or outside Australia and applicant can be in or outside Australia as well by the time of decision.
GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Requirements
- Be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when the visa is granted.
- Have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in one of the following areas (and still be prominent in the area):
- A profession,
- A sport,
- The arts, and
- Academia and research.
- Your achievements must be exceptional and outstanding. This means you:
- Are currently prominent in your field,
- Have superior abilities to others in your field,
- Are acclaimed as exceptional in any country where your field is practiced,
- Have a record of sustained achievement that is unlikely to diminish in the future.
- You must also participate in a field that:
- Is recognised and accepted in Australia,
- Has international standing.
- You must have been prominent in this field in the past 2 years.
- Be nominated by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, eligible New Zealand citizen, or Australian organisation with a national reputation in relation to your area of talent.
- Be of benefit to the Australian community.
- Must be able to find work in your field in Australia, or become independently established in your field in Australia.
- You can be any age to apply for this visa. However, if you are under 18 years old or you are aged 55 years or older when you apply, you must be of exceptional benefit to the Australian community.
- Have functional English.
- Demonstrate you are likely to earn at or above the Fair Work high income threshold (FWHIT), which is currently AUD 153,600 per year in Australia or be a high performing recent PhD or Masters or Honours graduate in one of the target sectors.
There are two streams in 189 visa Australia, they are points tested stream and New Zealand Stream.
GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Processing Time
Due to low volume of applicants, the processing time is not applicable. The Department assesses this visa application on a case by case basis, which mean the length of the process may vary from one case to another depending on individual’s circumstances.
GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Cost
The cost for this visa is as below:
- Main applicant: AUD 4,110
- Additional Applicant Charge 18+ AUD 2,055
- Additional Applicant Charge U18 AUD 1,030
What You Can Do With Global Talent Independent Visa
GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Frequently Asked Questions
ONEderland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your GTI visa Australia questions!
- Can I apply for this visa if I am more than 45 years old?
- Yes. There is no age limit to apply for this visa. However, if you are under 18 years old or you are aged 55 years or older when you apply, you must be of exceptional benefit to the Australian community.
- Do I have to be an Australian graduate to apply for this visa?
- No. you don’t have to be an Australian graduate to be eligible to apply for this visa. Applicants with an overseas qualification are welcomed to apply as well.
- I am a bachelor’s degree holder in Agricultural Technology. Am I eligible to apply?
- Yes. As long as you have exceptional and outstanding skill in the targeted sector and can be of benefit to the Australia community.
- Can I bring my family with me if I apply for this visa?
- Yes. With this visa, you can include your family in your application as your dependent during the application process. You may also sponsor your relatives to come to Australia after receiving this visa.
- Do I have to meet a minimum point for this visa?
- No. As this not a point tested visa, you are not required to meet a minimum point to apply for this visa.
- Do I need a positive skill assessment outcome?
- You don’t need to have your skill assessed though a skill assessment to apply for this visa. You only need to apply for an EOI to be considered eligible or not.
GTI Visa Four Steps Process
Gather the required documents
You will be required to provide some documents to support your claims and your eligibility, including the evidence of your achievements in an eligible field.
Apply for an Expression of Interests (EOI)
You need to first obtain an eligible individual or organisation to nominate you. This will be considered through an EOI application. The EOI must be submitted through Global Talent Contact Form.
Apply for the visa
If the department deems you meet the program parameters, you will then be invited to apply for the visa and be provided with a unique Global Talent identifier to lodge a Distinguished Talent visa application through ImmiAccount.
Wait for the visa outcome
Wait for your visa outcome while you are in or outside Australia.
Quick Links Related to Global Talent Independent Visa
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Ready to start your visa application?
DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.
“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”
Maria Helen De Guzman
Bridging Visa E