GTI VISA – Global Talent Independent Program
Global Talent Visa is an Australian visa program that is meant for highly skilled and professional workers from around the world to work and live in Australia indefinitely.
As of 27 February 2021, the Distinguished Talent Visa became one of the pathways under the Global Talent Visa.
GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Overview
This visa has 2 main pathways, namely
1. Global Talents Pathway
The Global Talent Program is for highly skilled applicants who have an internationally recognized record of outstanding achievement in priority sectors. Applicants must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and accept an invitation to apply under this pathway. The priority sectors in question are:
- Agri-food and AgTech
- Health industries
- Defence, advanced manufacturing and space
- Circular economy
- Infrastructure and tourism
- Financial services and FinTech
2. Distinguished Talent Program
This program is for highly talented applicants who have an outstanding track record of achievement recognized internationally working in other sectors whether for the professions, sport, arts, or academia and research.
With this program, highly skilled workers will be given the opportunity to get Australian Permanent Residents.
GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Requirements
- Be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when the visa is granted.
- Be of support to the Australian community. The contribution you make could be as follows:
- cultural, or
- to improve Australia’s academic, artistic, or sporting status on a global scale
- Have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in one of the following areas (and still be prominent in the area):
- A profession,
- A sport,
- The arts, and
- Academia and research.
- Your achievements must be exceptional and outstanding. This means you:
- Are currently prominent in your field,
- Have superior abilities to others in your field,
- Are acclaimed as exceptional in any country where your field is practiced,
- Have a record of sustained achievement that is unlikely to diminish in the future.
- You must also participate in a field that:
- Is recognised and accepted in Australia,
- Has international standing.
- You must have been prominent in this field in the past 2 years.
- Be nominated by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, eligible New Zealand citizen, or Australian organisation with a national reputation in relation to your area of talent.
- Be of benefit to the Australian community.
- Must be able to find work in your field in Australia, or become independently established in your field in Australia.
- You can be any age to apply for this visa. However, if you are under 18 years old or you are aged 55 years or older when you apply, you must be of exceptional benefit to the Australian community.
- Have functional English.
- Demonstrate you are likely to earn at or above the Fair Work high income threshold (FWHIT), which is currently AUD 153,600 per year in Australia or be a high performing recent PhD or Masters or Honours graduate in one of the target sectors.
GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Processing Time
The processing time this visa is between 6 – 11 months.
The Department of Home Affairs evaluates applications on an individual basis. Actual processing timeframes may differ owing to individual factors.
GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Cost
The visa application fee is AUD 4,710.
There will be an additional fee of AUD 4,890 if there are family members who apply for the visa under the following situations:
- be over the age of 18 or
- have less-than-functional English skills.
Also, keep in mind that the fee for applying for a visa will increase every year in July.
What You Can Do With Global Talent Independent Visa
- Stay in Australia permanently;
- Work and study in Australia;
- Enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare;
- Include members of the family unit when you apply;
- Sponsor your relatives to come to Australia;
- Travel to and from Australia for 5 years;
- If eligible, apply for Australian citizenship.
GTI – Global Talent Independent Visa Frequently Asked Questions
ONEderland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your GTI visa Australia questions!
- Can I apply for this visa if I am more than 45 years old?
- Yes. There is no age limit to apply for this visa. However, if you are under 18 years old or you are aged 55 years or older when you apply, you must be of exceptional benefit to the Australian community.
- Do I have to be an Australian graduate to apply for this visa?
- No. you don’t have to be an Australian graduate to be eligible to apply for this visa. Applicants with an overseas qualification are welcomed to apply as well.
- I am a bachelor’s degree holder in Agricultural Technology. Am I eligible to apply?
- Yes. As long as you have exceptional and outstanding skill in the targeted sector and can be of benefit to the Australia community.
- Can I bring my family with me if I apply for this visa?
- Yes. With this visa, you can include your family in your application as your dependent during the application process. You may also sponsor your relatives to come to Australia after receiving this visa.
- Do I have to meet a minimum point for this visa?
- No. As this not a point tested visa, you are not required to meet a minimum point to apply for this visa.
- Do I need a positive skill assessment outcome?
- You don’t need to have your skill assessed though a skill assessment to apply for this visa. You only need to apply for an EOI to be considered eligible or not.
GTI Visa Four Steps Process
Gather the required documents
You will be required to provide some documents to support your claims and your eligibility, including the evidence of your achievements in an eligible field.
Apply for an Expression of Interests (EOI)
You need to first obtain an eligible individual or organisation to nominate you. This will be considered through an EOI application. The EOI must be submitted through Global Talent Contact Form.
Apply for the visa
If the department deems you meet the program parameters, you will then be invited to apply for the visa and be provided with a unique Global Talent identifier to lodge a Distinguished Talent visa application through ImmiAccount.
Wait for the visa outcome
Wait for your visa outcome while you are in or outside Australia.
Quick Links Related to Global Talent Independent Visa
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Ready to start your visa application?
DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.
“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”
Maria Helen De Guzman
Bridging Visa E