300 Visa – Prospective Marriage Visa (Provisional)

The Prospective Marriage Visa or Subclass 300 visa is a temporary spouse visa for the prospective spouse of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to come to Australia in order to get married before the visa period ends.

The Prospective Marriage Visa 300 will be granted for nine months, and once the applicant and the sponsor get married, they can then apply for a Partner visa onshore (subclass 820 and 801) before the Prospective Marriage visa expires.

Before you apply for subclass 300 visa, you have to meet the minimum requirements for this visa.

Contributory Parent Temporary Visa - 173 Visa
Contributory Parent Temporary Visa - 173 Visa
Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Written by Indah Melindasari, B.Com
Updated May 2020

Prospective Marriage Visa (Provisional) Subclass 300 Requirements:

For Prospective Marriage Visa Applicant

  • You must be sponsored by your prospective spouse and the sponsorship must be approved.
  • Meet the health and character requirement
  • You must be 18 years old or older

For Prospective Marriage Visa Sponsor

  • Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Limitation on Sponsorship:
    • Not to have previously sponsored more than one person on a Partner visa or Prospective Marriage visa.
    • Not to have sponsored another person on a Partner visa or Prospective Marriage visa in the last 5 years.
    • Not granted a Partner visa or Prospective Marriage visa that the sponsor applied for less than 5 years ago.
  • Not to have a conviction for a relevant offence

For Relationship

  • Intend to get married within the nine months of the grant of the visa
  • Both the applicant and sponsor are free to marry
  • Have met in person and are personally known to each other
  • Genuinely intend to live together as a married couple

Prospective Marriage Visa 300 Application Process

The Prospective Marriage visa can be lodged with an online application and you must be outside Australia when you lodge this visa and when your visa is granted.

Before you apply for this visa, ensure you already filed the NOIM (Notice of Intended Marriage) that issue by The Registrar of Birth, Deaths, and Marriages to book your wedding date with a marriage celebrant.

You must marry your prospective spouse during the validity period of your visa and it can take place either in Australia or overseas.

Your marriage must be valid under Australian law.

Marriage Visa 300 Processing Time:

The processing time applies for a Prospective Marriage visa 300 is 14 months to 21 months. But it might take longer to process if you don’t fill it correctly or you don’t include all the documents that are needed, that’s why it’s important to know the requirements before you apply for this visa.

Subclass 300 Visa Application Cost:

This Australia spouse visa cost is AUD 7,715 for the main applicant, there is also a fee for each family member who applies for the visa with you. You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police clearance certificates and biometrics. You will also pay a charge for your Partner visa application, which is from AUD 1,285 as a Prospective Marriage visa 300 holder.

What You Can Do As A Subclass 300 Visa Holder

There are some benefits you can get when you hold this visa, such as:

  • Enter Australia before you marry your prospective spouse.
  • May leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you wish before your visa expires (nine months after visa grant).
  • You can work in Australia.
  • Study in Australia at your own expense
  • Can apply for a Partner visa in Australia after you marry your prospective spouse.
  • Stay in Australia for nine months.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Subclass 300 Visa

ONEderland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your Prospective Marriage Visa subclass 300 questions!

  1. Should I provide a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) when I lodge the Prospective Marriage visa?
    • Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) is one of the required documents to apply for a Prospective Marriage visa.
    • You need to have a NOIM before you lodge the application and have a date set to show your intention to marry your partner.
  2. When my Prospective Marriage visa has been granted, should I marry in Australia?
    • You can get married in Australia or any other country, but your marriage must be valid under Australian law.
    • If you decide to get married outside of Australia, you will need to enter Australia with a Prospective Marriage visa before you leave to the country you intend to get married in.
    • After that you can enter Australia again with your Prospective Marriage visa.
  3. What if I haven’t registered my relationship yet with my partner, within 9 months since I arrived in Australia?
    • If you haven’t gotten married within 9 months, you will have to leave Australia when your visa expires.
    • That’s why, you should arrange and register your marriage before your Prospective Marriage visa expires.
  4. Can I include my child on my Prospective Marriage visa application?
    • You can include your child when you apply for this visa, or after you lodge the application but before the Department of Immigration decide your visa application.
  5. What I need to do when I already live in Australia and married with my Australian partner after my Prospective Marriage visa is granted?
    • Once you have married with your partner and stay in Australia, you can apply for a Partner visa subclass 820/801 before your Prospective Marriage visa is expired.
  6. Can I visit my Australian partner while my Prospective Marriage application is still on processing?
    • Yes, you can visit your partner in Australia while applying for a visitor visa subclass 600, but you need to go back to your home country before the Department of immigration grants your Prospective Marriage visa.
  7. Can I work when I am in Australia with Prospective Marriage visa?
    • Prospective Marriage visa is allows you to work in Australia.
  8. What if I have already married my Australian partner, can I apply for a Prospective Marriage visa?
    • If you have married, you may be eligible to apply for a Partner visa as Prospective Marriage visa is only for a partner who has engaged and wants to marry in Australia with their partner.
  9. How much it will cost me to apply visa subclass 300?
    • The visa application fee starts from AUD 7,715. For the dependent under 18 years old, it will cost you AUD 1,935 and AUD 3,860 for the dependent over 18 years old.