Introduction to Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa subclass 870 – NEW PARENT VISA 2019 Christmas came early, new temporary Parent Visa in town
Friday 1st of March 2019 is the luckiest day for foreign parents to an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. To be precise biological, adoptive, or step-parent of a sponsor. Because there is new temporary visa to sponsor their parent to Australia known as Parent Visa 870.
On that faithful day, the Australian Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, and Multicultural Affairs, The Hon David Coleman MP, announced a new visa, Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa Subclass 870, after the federal government passed the legislation which will allow parents of migrants to spend long periods in Australia in 2017.
Two years in the making, the visa application is to be open from 1 July 2019 and will bear the new move 2-step process, requiring a sponsorship application to be approved before the visa application may be lodged. As a 2-step process sponsorship and visa application process, this the sponsoring children must first lodged and been granted a parents sponsorship rights, before visa applications can be made.
Even better news, sponsorship applications can be lodged as early as 17 April 2019. However, there is only six-month window for the visa applicant to be able to lodge their parent visa 870 application after the sponsoring children has been approved.
The validity period of the visa itself is for 5 years with maximum one time extension for another 5 year.
Read our new articles What Is Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa Subclass 870? and Sponsors requirements for Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa Subclass 870 for further information.
Quota and how the New Temporary Parent visa works.
The catch is, there is also a quote for this particular visa. Up to 15,000 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa 870 may be granted each program year, which ran from 1 July to 30 June. The quote for the new visa ids different to the limited number of Parent places for the migration programs.
Similar to the first come, first served system, if the quota is reached before the program year ended, no further 870 visas will be granted until the next program year commences in the middle of the next year, hence the processing time may take longer than expected.
Eligibility criteria or the requirements for 870 Parent visa holder.
- You are only eligible for this via if you are parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, who are at least 18 years of age and have met all the parent sponsorship eligibility.
- Your children must have been approved as parent sponsor within the last 6-months. You also must be outside Australia when you Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa application is lodge and granted and must not have paid for the visas.
- As this is a 5-year visa, you and your sponsor must also provide evidence of financial capability and access to funds as well as evidence of health insurance. You also must not have an outstanding public health debt to the Australian government, unless you and your sponsor have made appropriate arrangements to pay back the debt. You must also meet the health, character, and national security requirements, which means potentially passing any prescribed medical check-up as well as providing proof of good conduct.
- The visa-holders would not also be allowed to reapply for more than 10 years and this visa is not a pathway to permanent residency.
Stay duration for parent visa 870 holder
- The 870 visa will allows parents of Australians to stay in Australia for a longer period of time, up to five years at a time, without having to frequently leaving the country. This may be seen as an upgrade from the normal visitor visa. But as such, the eligibility is a lot more complicated from a normal visitor visa. Naturally, this translated to the cost, which is also a lot more expensive.
- Parents who have held Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas for a cumulative period 10 year, must either leave Australia or apply for another visa that will allow them to remain in Australia.
- During your stay in the country, generally, you may be subject to a work limitation condition and you must always be covered by the appropriate health insurance so that the Australian community do not have to pay for any medical needs you may have.
Processing times and costs.
As the time of writing, there no processing times shown yet. In general, there are numerous factors which may impact the processing times, which includes:
- the number of applications lodged
- whether you have lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents
- how quick you respond to any requests for additional information from the department
- how long it takes to perform checks on the supporting information provided
- how long it takes to receive additional information from third-parties external to the Department, especially particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements
- how many places are available in the 870 visas program
The sponsorship application fee is $420 AUD. Whilst the visa application charge range from $5,000 AUD (for a visa of up to three years’ duration) to $10,000 AUD (for a visa of up to five years’ duration). Installments are available, with the first installment at time of application and the remainder is paid prior to the visa being granted.
The new parent visa 870 is certainly costly, the process may be confusing, and sponsorship and visa application eligibility may be difficult to comprehend, but when used properly, this visa is a key solution to Australian families. But at the same time, this visa may not be what you needed right now.
Do not risk submitting parent sponsorship and 870 visa application without knowing the fullest extent of information. Do not even risk applying for the wrong visa or the right visa which may not be suitable for your current need, as this may leave you stresses and waiting too long.
Using professional help will help eliminate unnecessary stress and valuable resources, and leave you to return to daily life while we at ONE derland Consulting take care of your business.
So if you’re looking for professional, knowledgeable, and reliable migration agency to help you make one of the most important decision in your life, parental visiting or migrating to Australia, email or call us today!
E-mail: [email protected]
PERTH : 08 9477 5831 | SYDNEY : 02 9188 2065 | MELBOURNE : 03 9088 4114