Parent Visa 870 – Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa Requirements 2023
870 visa is a temporary visa to Australia for parents who would like to visit their children in Australia and do not plan to get permanent residency. With sponsored parent visa 870 you can visit Australia for up to 3 or 5 years per visa. You apply for further visas to visit up to a maximum period in Australia of 10 years.
Here’s all the key information you need to know about applying for 870 visa for in 2023.
What is a 870 Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa?
The subclass 870 visa is a temporary visa Australia that does not lead you to permanent residency. If you have a child in Australia and your child is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, this is a high chance for you to visit your child for up to three or five years.
Not only that, you can re-apply for further visas to visit up to a maximum period in Australia for 10 years. If you plan to extend your stay, you must be outside Australia for at least 90 days before being eligible to be granted another Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa / 870 Visa, unless you have a Permission to Apply in Australia.
If you are a holder of this temporary visa, you can stay for a cumulative 10-year period. When the period of 10 years ends, then you have to leave Australia, or you can apply for another visa that will let you remain in Australia, as you will not be allowed to be granted a further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa.
How Long is 870 Temporary Visa Australia?
By holding the 870 Temporary Visa Australia, your parents will have a temporary residency in Australia for up to 3 or 5 years. The 870 Temporary Visa Australia is not issued for ten years from the beginning, but it can be extended to allow your parents to stay in Australia for a maximum of ten years, in periods of three or five years. Before your parent’s current visa expires, you must apply for a new one and you must re-apply for the right to sponsor them.
Conditions of 870 Temporary Visa Australia
- You cannot include family members in your visa application.
- You must be sponsored to apply for 870 Temporary Visa Australia.
- You must be outside Australia when you apply for the 870 Temporary Visa Australia , except if you have Permission to Apply in Australia, but not in immigration clearance.
- At the time of the decision, you can be in or outside Australia, but not in immigration clearance.
- You are not eligible for a Bridging visa unless you have Permission to Apply in Australia.
- If you have Permission to Apply in Australia, you must lodge your visa application within 60 days of sponsorship approval. If you do not apply within 60 days, you will have to lodge your visa application outside Australia within 6 months of sponsorship approval or make an application for a different visa to remain in Australia.
- If you do not have Permission to Apply in Australia, you must depart Australia. Apply from outside Australia within 6 months of sponsorship approval or make an application for a different kind of visa to remain in Australia.
Fees for 870 Temporary Visa Australia 2023
Visa Fee to the Department of Home Affairs
This visa costs you from AUD 5,090 for a visa up to 3 years, and AUD 10,180 for a visa of up to 5 years per applicant. There is also an additional charge for each family member who applies to you.
The Department of Home Affairs provides two instalments for this visa. You have to pay the first instalment when you apply, and you can pay the second instalment when The Department of Home Affairs asks you to. See details below for the payment schedule:
|No||Visa duration||First payment||Second payment||Note|
|1||3 years||AU 1,145||AUD 4,590||First payment must be paid when you lodge the application.|
Second payment must be paid when the Department of Home Affairs asks you to.
|2||5 years||AUD 1,145||AUD 10,325|
Be noted that the above fee might change in July every year.
Besides the above payment, you might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics, if there is a request for your application.
Please do not arrange to move to Australia until your visa is granted because the Department of Home Affairs will let you know the decision of your application.
How to be a Sponsor for 870 Temporary Visa Australia?
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen;
- If you are an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, you must be usually resident in Australia for at least 4 years;
- Must have a taxable income (or you and your spouse or de facto partner must have a combined income) of at least $83,454.80 for the most recent financial year;
- You have to meet conduct requirements (ie provide relevant police checks).
Important Notes To Be A Sponsor for 870 Visa
There are a number of things you should note if you wish to sponsor an 870 Visa application for your parents, including:
You can only sponsor 2 parents. You can sponsor:
- one or both of your parents, or
- one, or both, of your partner’s parents, or
- one of your parents and one of your partner’s parents
You cannot apply for a new sponsorship until your current approved sponsorship ends.
You must agree that you will:
- provide financial support and accommodation to sponsored parents while they are in Australia. This obligation ends when the sponsored parent is granted a permanent visa
- notify the Australian Department of Home Affairs if circumstances change and if certain events occur. You will need to notify the Australian Department of Home Affairs, for example, if you are accused of a crime or a sponsored parent dies. This obligation ends the day after you stop sponsoring
- repay all outstanding public health debt incurred by sponsored parents in Australia. This obligation ends when you have paid off the debt or have agreed arrangements to pay it back. You must repay the debt even if the sponsored parent leaves Australia
- You must make a commitment to obligations when you complete the sponsorship application.
If you do not comply with your sponsorship obligations, Department of Home Affairs may cancel your sponsorship and/or your parent’s visa.
How long does sponsorship last
Your sponsorship will end:
- if your permanent visa is canceled
- if you decease
- if you withdraw your sponsor
- if the applicant does not apply for a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa within 6 months of sponsor approval
- the expiration day of the granted 870 visa
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Subclass 870 Visa
ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa 870 questions!
- Can I include my family on this Sponsored Parent Temporary visa Australia / 870 Visa? How do I know if I am eligible to apply for a Partner visa onshore?
- Unfortunately, you can’t include your family members in your application.
- One application is for one person.
- Do I need to have an Assurance of Support?
- No, as this is a Sponsored Parent Temporary visa Australia / 870 Visa, usually, you don’t need to.
- This is mandatory for a permanent visa. However, you should set this aside, just in case the Department ask for it.
- Other parent visa needs to meet the balance of the family. How about for this Sponsored Parent temporary visa Australia / 870 Visa?
- For this 870 visa, you don’t need to meet the balance of the family test.
- If I would like to apply for this visa for my parent, should I pay all the visa fees at one time?
- Visa subclass 870 will be able to pay through 2 instalments. The first instalment is $1,145 AUD and should be paid once the visa is submitted. The DHA will inform you when you need to pay the rest instalments.
- How long would be the processing time for an 870 visa application?
- The processing time for this visa application is around 4 months.
- Can I apply for this 870 visa application onshore?
- Generally, the 870 visa applicant should apply from outside Australia.
- In the sponsorship application, you would need to have permission to apply for the visa onshore.
- If you’re allowed to apply onshore, you need to apply within 60 days of the sponsorship approval.
Sponsored Parent 870 Visa Four Steps Process
Eligibility Check for 870 Visa / Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa Australia
Make sure you check your eligibility to see if you meet all the criteria and requirements for this Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa Australia / 870 visa.
Requirements to check including: have a sponsor with the certain circumstances for your child, meet the financial, health and character requirement, have no debt, etc.
You would need to lodge the sponsorship application first through your IMMI account.
Please note that there is a fee of AUD 420 for sponsorship applications.
Once this sponsorship got granted, you can continue to the next step.
After you make sure that you have fulfilled the requirements, you can then gather all the required and additional documents to complete and support your application.
You can apply online and should be outside of Australia within 6 months of sponsorship approval.
This visa generally takes up to 5 months to be granted (not including the sponsorship application).
If successful, you can enter Australia between 3-5 years, depending on the type of application you applied.
If got refused, the DHA will inform you in writing.
Quick Links Related To Subclass 870 Visa
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Let Us Help You With Your 870 Visa Application
We understand that there are many more requirements needed for applying this visa, even though it can now be lodged online, it may not be as easy as you imagine.
ONE derland consulting will take the time and compile all documents needed and guarantee that your application is 100% ready before submitting, ensuring a positive outcome for your visa application.
Contact us through the form below to take the first step of your journey to Australia.
“The team at ONE derland put a very compelling case together and help us obtain my mother’s visitor’s visa.”
Visitor Visa for his parent from high risk country