Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa 870 Brief Overview
The subclass 870 visa is a temporary visa Australia that does not lead you to permanent residency. If you have a child in Australia and your child has been an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, this is a high chance for you to visit your child for up to three or five years.
Not only that, you can re-apply for further visas to visit up to a maximum period in Australia for 10 years. If you plan to extend your stay, you must be outside Australia for at least 90 days before being eligible to be granted another Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa, unless you have a Permission to Apply in Australia.
You can stay for a cumulative 10-year period. When the period of 10 years ends, then you have to leave Australia, or you can apply for another visa that will let you remain in Australia, as you will not be allowed to be granted a further Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa.
Conditions of 870 Visa
- You cannot include family members in your visa application.
- You must be sponsored to apply for this visa.
- You must be outside Australia when you apply for the visa, except if you have Permission to Apply in Australia, but not in immigration clearance.
- At the time of the decision, you can be in or outside Australia, but not in immigration clearance.
- You are not eligible for a Bridging visa unless you have Permission to Apply in Australia.
- If you have Permission to Apply in Australia, you must lodge your visa application within 60 days of sponsorship approval. If you do not apply within 60 days, you will have to lodge your visa application outside Australia within 6 months of sponsorship approval or make an application for a different visa to remain in Australia.
- If you do not have Permission to Apply in Australia, you must depart Australia. Apply from outside Australia within 6 months of sponsorship approval or make an application for a different kind of visa to remain in Australia.
Fees for Temporary Parent Visa 870
Visa Fee to the Department of Home Affairs
This visa costs you from AUD5,000 for a visa up to 3 years, and AUD10,000 for a visa of up to 5 years per applicant. There is also an additional charge for each family member who applies to you.
The Department of Home Affairs provides two instalments for this visa. You have to pay the first instalment when you apply, and you can pay the second instalment when The Department of Home Affairs asks you to.
Besides the above payment, you might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics, if there is a request for your application.
Please do not arrange to move to Australia until your visa is granted because the Department of Home Affairs will let you know the decision of your application.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Subclass 870 Visa
ONEderland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa 870 questions!
- Can I include my family on this visaHow do I know if I am eligible to apply for a Partner visa onshore?
- Unfortunately, you can’t include your family members in your application.
- One application is for one person.
- Do I need to have an Assurance of Support?
- No, as this is a Temporary visa, usually, you don’t need to.
- This is mandatory for a permanent visa. However, it’s better for you to set this aside as well, just in case the Department ask for it.
- Other parent visa needs to meet the balance of family. How about for this 870 visa?
- For this 870 visa, you don’t need to meet the balance of family test.
- How much will be the cost for this visa?
- The visa fee for the 3 years visa is AUD 5,000 while the 5 years visa is AUD 10,000.
- If I would like to apply this visa for my parent, should I pay all the visa fee in one time?
- Visa subclass 870 will be able to pay through 2 instalments. The first instalment is $1,000 AUD and should be paid once the visa is submitted. The DHA will inform you when you need to pay the rest instalments.
- How long would be the processing time for this visa application?
- The processing time for this visa application is around 4 months.
- Can I apply this 870 visa application onshore?
- Generally, the 870 visa applicant should be apply from outside Australia.
- In the sponsorship application, you would need to have a permission to apply the visa onshore.
- If you’re allowed to apply onshore, you need to apply within 60 days since the sponsorship approval.
Sponsored Parent Visa 870 Four Steps Process
Make sure you check your eligibility to see if you meet all the criteria and requirements for this visa.
Requirements to check including: have a sponsor with the certain circumstances for your child, meet the financial, health and character requirement, have no debt, etc.
You would need to lodge the sponsorship application first through your IMMI account.
Once this sponsorship got granted, you can continue to the next step.
After you make sure that you have fulfilled the requirements, you can then gather all the required and additional documents to complete and support your application.
You can apply online and should be outside of Australia within 6 months of sponsorship approval.
This visa generally takes between 87 days – 4 months to be granted.
If successful, you can enter Australia between 3-5 years, depending on types of application you applied.
If got refused, the DHA will inform you in writing.