801 Visa – Permanent Partner Visa Requirements for 2023
801 visa is a permanent partner visa that allows the de facto or spouse of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia permanently. This visa is usually for people who currently hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) to apply for the permanent one.
As partner visa 801 is a continuation of the temporary partner visa, you must wait until 2 years to lodge the permanent partner visa application after you have lodged the temporary one. You will be eligible to apply for partner visa 801 if your relationship is continuing and genuine, and your spouse or de facto partner is still your sponsor.
To prove your relationship, you can provide evidence of your finances, household, social matters and commitment to a long-term relationship with each other.
Subclass 801 Visa Requirements for 2023
- You must be married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- If you apply based on marriage, you must provide a valid marriage certificate as proof of marriage.
- If you apply based on the de facto relationship, you must have been living together for at least 12 months with your partner or you have registered your relationship with an Australian authority such as a registry of births, deaths and marriages.
- Have a sponsor who is usually your partner.
- You are currently holding a temporary visa e.g. visitor visa, student visa or working holiday visa.
- There is no “NO FURTHER STAY” condition on your current visa unless the condition has been waived.
- Meet health and character requirements.
Partner Visa 801 Application Process
You should be in Australia when you apply for this visa but when the decision is being made you may be in or outside Australia. Once you have applied for partner visa 801, you don’t need to pay again as you have paid when you applied for the combined temporary and permanent partner visas.
However, you might have to pay other costs for health checks or police clearance certificates.
Permanent Partner Visa 801 Processing Time
The current processing time for 801 visas is around 16 months to 25 months. The processing time can be longer if you don’t include all the documents needed or you didn’t fill out the application correctly.
It’s important to pay attention to details when you fill out the application in order for your permanent partner visa 801 to get approved by The Department of Home Affairs.
Partner Visa Subclass 801 Application Cost 2023
As per July 2023, the Australia Permanent Visa or Visa 801 charge is $8,085 AUD for the main applicant. This fee covers this Temporary Visa 820 and Permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.
Please be noted that the visa fee for visa 801 might increase in July every year.
Is Visa 801 Permanent Residency?
The 801 visa is a permanent visa, so it grants the holder the right to stay in Australia indefinitely. It is usually only for people who currently hold a temporary Partner visa subclass 820. The holder of this partner visa 801 is allowed to work and study in Australia.
Permanent Residency and Australian Citizenship through 801 Visa
You become a permanent resident on the day when the 801 visa is granted and it lets you stay in Australia indefinitely. You can also travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date of your partner visa 801 grant, but you need to apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) once every 5 years before your permanent resident visa expires to allow you to freely enter and exit Australia.
You may apply for Australian citizenship through visa 801 if you are eligible for this. Other benefits of this visa include allowing you to work and study in Australia and enroll in Australia’s public healthcare scheme such as Medicare. This 801 visa allows you to sponsor other relatives for permanent residency in Australia, as long as they meet the requirements that make them eligible.
801 Visa / Permanent Partner Visa Refusal Risk
It’s possible to get a refusal at this stage if you are unable to demonstrate that you and your partner are still in a genuine and continuing relationship. That’s why it is important during the 2 years period you and your partner gather all the documents required for the 801 visa especially addressing the different aspects of your relationship.
What is the difference between Visa 820 and 801?
The Subclass Visa 820 is a temporary or a provisional visa whereas the partner visa 801 is a permanent visa. The temporary Partner visa subclass 820 is granted first and lets you stay in Australia, after 24 months you may be eligible for a Permanent Partner Visa 801.
Can you lose your 801 visa?
Once the permanent partner visa subclass 100 or subclass 801 is granted, it’s not possible for the sponsor to cancel the sponsorship. In some cases, the application must be withdrawn or the partner visa must be cancelled, but that is not always necessary. The applicant or sponsor can withdraw the application request to cancel the visa by writing a letter to the Department that includes: their full name and date of birth.
How long does the 801 visa take?
The current average processing time for the partner visa 801 is between 16 and 25 months based on 75-90% of applications lodged.
How long does it take to get 801 visa after 820?
Applying for a partner visa is a two-stage process, Subclass 820 (Temporary) and Subclass 801 (Permanent). Under the current regulation, an applicant applies for both temporary and permanent visa on the one combined application form. In most cases, applicants are ineligible to be granted a permanent visa until two years after their application is made. That is, Subclass 820 visa holders usually have to wait two years before their visa 801 application is finalised.
Subclass 801 Visa Frequently Asked Questions
ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your questions regarding Permanent Partner Visa subclass 801.
- How do I know if I am eligible to apply for a Partner visa 801 onshore?
- You will be eligible to apply for a partner visa onshore subclass 820 and 801 if your partner is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, and your partner should be your sponsor.
- You are holding a valid visa at the time you apply for this visa.
- You and your partner are already married or living together at least 12 months, and meet health and character requirements.
- Can I apply for a Partner visa onshore if there is “No Further Stay” condition on my 801 visa?
- A ‘No Further Stay’ condition is a condition that prevents the visa holder from applying for any visas while they are in Australia.
- You need to waive this first should you wish to apply for any onshore visa.
- If the No Further Stay condition is waived, you can apply for another visa without having to leave Australia. So, once this condition is waived, you are able to apply for partner visa onshore.
- I have lived with my partner for less than 12 months, can I apply for a Partner visa based on de facto relationship?
- The requirements for applying the de facto relationship is you must live together with your partner for a minimum of 12 months.
- If you live with your partner less than 12 months, you can’t apply under the de facto relationship.
- What happens if my relationship with my partner is over when the visa application is still processing?
- If the relationship between applicant and sponsor is over, it is the responsibility of both the applicant and sponsor to advise the Department of home affairs immediately.
- The visa will be cancelled and the applicant will be granted a bridging visa either to make arrangements to depart Australia or arrange to apply for another visa type.
- What if I am still married to someone else? Can I still sponsor my partner under partner visa onshore?
- You would need to check again the eligibility of the partner visa onshore. If you have met the requirements, you need to finalise all the paperwork showing that your previous relationship has ended. You can’t apply for the partner visa unless you can provide related documents, such as separation documents or a divorced certificate.
- Can I apply for a partner visa onshore if I have overstayed my visa?
- If you have met the eligibility as mentioned previously and you have compelling reasons, then the answer is yes.
- If you are onshore, you may look into lodging the partner visa onshore, however, Schedule 3 criteria will apply and you need to get this waived.
- If you are in a long-term relationship with an Australian citizen, you may be eligible to apply for the onshore partner visa but there may be some regulations and restrictions to look at to double check your eligibility.
- How much the visa fee for partner visa application?
- The visa fee for the main applicant is AUD 8,850 (included combined 2 step fee).
- The fee for additional applicants over 18 years old is AUD 4,430 while the additional applicant under 18 years old is AUD 2,215.
- If you are currently holding a visa 300 (Prospective Marriage), the visa fee for the main applicant is AUD 1,475.
- Those charges are generally increased every July.
- How long it take to process my applications?
- Subclass 820 visa will take time between 18 – 37 months and subclass 801 visa processing time is between 16 – 25 months.
- It depends on each person’s circumstances. If you don’t fill the information correctly, the processing time might be longer.
- Can I include my family members?
- Yes, you can include family members in your Partner Visa 801 application when you apply. Family members who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements.
- Can I apply this visa while I am offshore?
- Unfortunately, no. This 820 visa is designed to apply from inside Australia. Therefore, you would need to be onshore when you apply and when the Department gives you the decision.
- If you would like to apply for offshore, you may consider to apply the visa subclass 309.
- Will I get the bridging visa after I apply the visa onshore?
- If you apply the onshore partner visa, before your substantive visa cease, you will be granted the Bridging Visa A.
- This BVA will be your valid visa while waiting the decision of the partner visa.
- Usually, this BVA will allow you to work and study in Australia.
Permanent Partner Visa 801 Six Steps Process
Check your eligibility for the Subclass 801 visa
The first thing you need to do before you apply for a Partner visa subclass 820 and 801 visa is check your eligibility.
You need to make sure you have met all the criteria and requirements for this Australia spouse visa (subclass 801 visa).
Apply for Temporary Partner visa subclass 820
Once you have met all the criteria and requirements, you need to start preparing documents and applying for a Partner visa subclass 820.
You can lodge the visa online through an IMMI account and provide evidence of your relationship on a regular basis.
Grant temporary Partner visa subclass 820
The processing time varies, depending on each case.
Once your temporary Partner visa subclass 820 is granted, you may stay in Australia until your permanent Partner visa 801 is granted.
Apply for Permanent Partner visa subclass 801
You may be eligible to apply for a permanent Partner visa 2 years after the submitted date of your temporary Partner.
You will receive an email from the Immigration to lodge your permanent Partner visa. There’s no fee involved for this application.
Supply additional documents 2 years after the processing of your Partner visa subclass 820
You should submit all documents required for this stage after you submitted your permanent Partner visa 801 application.
You need to provide all the documents showing your relationship is still genuine and continuing since the grant of your temporary Partner visa.
Grant permanent Partner visa 801
Once your permanent Partner visa 801 is granted, you become a permanent resident and can live in Australia indefinitely.
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date of your visa grant.
Partner Visa Quick Links
Share This 801 Visa Information, Choose Your Platform!
Ready to start with your Australia Spouse Visa application?
We’ve help couple around the world providing high quality document work for their permanent Australia spouse visa application.
Never put your precious relationship risk. Let ONEderland Consulting, the best Partner Visa 801 expert in Perth handle your case.
Contact us through the form below to take the first step of bringing your partner to Australia.
“Hello everyone, My permanent partner visa (801) granted yesterday.
All i did just followed whatever they asked for and provide them with all the documents like pictures, joint account,payslips etc but no phone calls, no interview.
We were shocked But we feel relieved now. Thanks again to ONEderland immigration and Special thanks to my case manager Sandra Puri and Indah Melindasari we are highly recommend to the people who overstayed or with complex cases.”
Partner Visa Subclass 801