🚨🚨 Instant Visa Recommendations 🚨🚨 Just answers a few simple questions and get Australian visa recommendations instantly.

Important Information: Next Steps After Getting Married on Prospective Marriage Visa


Prospective Marriage Visa Australia: What Happens After the Marriage (Besides the Honeymoon!)

What is the Prospective Marriage Visa Australia?

A Prospective Marriage Visa Australia (subclass 300) also known as the PMV 300 is an Australian visa that will let you marry your fiancé. The Prospective Marriage Visa Australia is usually valid for 9 – 12 months, and you must hold your marriage with your fiancé within the validity period.

Now, you may be wondering about the next step you must take after you have officially tied the knot, so before you jet off on that dream Honeymoon make sure you read this article.

This article will guide you on the next steps you to take after your wedding as a Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) holder.

Prospective Marriage Visa / PMV 300 – Fast Facts

  • How Long Does it Take to Get a Prospective Marriage Visa in Australia?

Processing the time for the prospective marriage visa can take 7-29 months.

  • How Much Does a Prospective Marriage Visa Cost in Australia?

The Prospective Marriage Visa DHA application fee is AUD7,850. This cost may seem high but it accounts for a portion of the fees for the later permanent resident partner visa. You will only pay AUD1,310 for the 2 step permanent partner visa as a PMV 300 holder.

  • How Does Prospective Marriage visa work in Australia?

This visa will allow your fiancé to come to Australia for Between 9 and 15 months from the date of grant of visa and in this time you must get married at which point you can apply for the onshore partner visa subclass 820 and permanent subclass 801.

Prospective marriage visa

First Thing to Do – Get Your Official Marriage Document

The first and most important thing to do is get your official marriage document. The official document includes a marriage certificate, no legal impediment for marriage (if applicable), and others. These documents will prove that as a holder of a Prospective Marriage Visa Australia, you have complied with one of the visa conditions, which is holding a marriage ceremony with your fiancé. Besides, these documents also prove that your relationship and commitment to your fiancé are genuine and continuing which is a main criteria of the partner visas.

The other documents that you should prepare are:

  • Photos of your marriage ceremony,
  • A witness from people who attended your marriage ceremony,
  • Supporting letter from your family and friends.

Read more about: Info Application Prospective Marriage Visa Australia

Second Thing to Do – Lodge an Onshore Partner Visa (subclass 820/801)

Once you have collected the documents, you should lodge an onshore Partner Visa (subclass 820/801) application.

Why must you lodge this visa application?

Since you have held your marriage ceremony in Australia, it would be the best option for you to lodge an onshore Partner Visa (subclass 820/801). Note that Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) and onshore Partner Visa (subclass 820/801) is a package. It means if you hold a Prospective Marriage Visa Australia, you will need to lodge an onshore Partner Visa (subclass 820/801).

Read more: Validity Date for Visa 300 is Extended until the end of 2022 for Holders Impacted by COVID-19

When is the best time to Lodge Partner Visa?

It is best to lodge the Partner Visa (subclass 820/801) when you have your marriage documentation and before your Prospective Marriage Visa 300 expires. The situation would be complex if you submitted a visa 820 application after your Prospective Marriage visa expires. Two possibilities might happen if you lodge your visa 820 after your Prospective Marriage Visa expires:

  • You must return to your home country.

You must return to your home country because you don’t hold a substantive visa. It means you won’t be eligible for an onshore Partner visa (subclass 820/801). So, you must lodge an offshore Partner Visa (subclass 309/100) and pay the Partner Visa fee in full (currently set as AUD 7,850).

  • Apply for another substantive visa onshore

If you wish to remain in Australia, you need to apply for another substantive visa in Australia. However, this will not help your situation as you will have to give a strong reason and explain why you missed the deadline to lodge a visa 820 application. Also, you must pay the visa fee in full (currently set at AUD 7,850).

Neither of the possibilities above will put you in a good position, so it’s best to keep a strict timeline and lodge your visa 820 application on time, as newlyweds you will want to save your money for your future and not have to pay the application fee all over again.

Read more: Australian Partner Visa Sponsorship Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What happens after lodging the application?

After lodging a Partner Visa (subclass 820/801), you will be granted a Bridging Visa A, which will allow you to stay legally in Australia while waiting for the decision for your Partner Visa application.

The Bridging Visa A will also allow you to work and study in Australia. There is indeed nothing better than remaining onshore with your spouse, right?

If you wish to check your eligibility, please get in touch with us via email at [email protected] or via phone at 1300 827 159.

How much money should you prepare for the application?

Applying for a Partner Visa (subclass 820/801) as a 300 Visa Australia holder will cost you AUD1,310 as the main applicant.

Book Your Consultation - 100% Money Back Guarantee 2

Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!

Ready to start your visa application?

DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Indah Melindasari, B.Com

Lead Migration Agent - MARN 0961 448

1300 827 159

Contact Form EN

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted.

Indah Melindasari Registered Migration Agent in Perth - Migration Agent Perth - ONEderland Consulting