Google Rating & Review ONE derland Consulting -ok Facebook Rating & Review ONE derland Consulting

Free Assessment - Click Here

Skilled Visa Calculator

Check Your Chance

Sponsoring family members on Student Visa

Sponsoring family members on Student Visa

How to sponsor your family members if you are on Student Visa Australia

As of 1 July 2016, there have been changes to the student visa programme (find out the changes under our blog then hit news), and because of such changes, you must put your current family members on your application with you, to do a family sponsorship in Australia, at least declare them in your application, or there will be no way for them to join you in Australia.

Who is eligible to add on your student visa application as a dependent family member(for family sponsorship)?

Eligibility criteria :

The dependent must be your spouse (meaning the person you are married to) or de facto partner (including same sex partners)

If the dependent is your de facto partner, you must show evidence of living together for the 12 months prior to your application. Your relationship must be genuine, continuous and independent of anyone else.

  • Needs to be your child (biological or adopted legally) or your partner’s (spouse or de facto)
  • The child cannot be married, engaged or in a de facto relationship
  • Must be in continuous education and under the age of 18

So how do you apply for your dependent family members to join you for this family sponsorship in Australia?

Your eligible family members can:

  1. Go with you to Australia, as long as you have included them in your application
  2. Join you in Australia after you have been granted your visa as a future arrival. You must have declared these family members in your initial student visa application.

Please make sure you declare ALL family members on your student visa application, even if they aren’t currently planning on traveling with you to Australia. If you do not put them on your application, they will not be eligible to join you in Australia on a student visa. There is one exception to this, if they became your family member after your student visa was granted and before a subsequent application is done.

studednt visa sponsor

Required documentation for family sponsorship to Australia on a student visa

If your family members are applying as a future entrant and are planning to join you in Australia, they will need to provide the following with their online application:

  • Identity documents such as a certified copy of birth certificate, driver’s license, passport or national ID card
  • A copy of your main passport page
  • Proof from the educational provider that the primary applicant is still studying
  • Evidence of being an eligible family member (marriage or birth certificate)
  • Proof of financial capacity, either:
    • can show evidence of a yearly income of at least AUD 70,000
    • proof of enough funds to cover travel costs and 12 months’ college tuition and living costs for both them and you, plus school costs for school-aged dependents for the first 12 months
      evidence of school enrolment for dependent school-aged children

Form 1229-Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years, for anyone on the application under the age of 18.

You must also meet the genuine temporary entrant requirement, as well as, the health and character requirements. As a dependent family member applying after the fact, you might need to provide other documentation that is specific to your circumstances.

ONE derland Consulting has extensive experience dealing with different type of visas and complex cases, to find further information on your options and eligibility for family sponsorship to Australia for a student visa please contact our office on (+61) 089477-5831 or email: [email protected]

Published On: August 2nd, 2016 / Categories: General Info, Student Visa_en /