How to prepare Australian Parent Visa Application with checklist
There are several different types of parent visas, with various time frames and requirements. Let’s take a look at all six scenarios involving parent visas that can lead to bringing both or one of your parents over to Australia, for a family sponsorship.
Australian Parent category visas
If you meet the requirements below, you might be eligible to apply for a parent visa:
- you have a child who is an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- your child has been living lawfully in Australia for the last 2 years before your visa allocation was lodged
- you have a sponsor (most likely your child)
- you must meet the criteria for the Balance of Family test (explained more below)
- you can meet the health and character requirements
How long can you stay in Australia on a parent category visa?
It will depend of the subclass of parent visa you apply for, but a parent category visa can allow you to, either :
- be a temporary resident in Australia for up to 2 years
- get you Australian permanent residency
Family Sponsorship Australia information
You must have a sponsor to apply for a parent category visa to live in Australia as a permanent or temporary resident. Your sponsor needs to be an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen who:
- is 18 years old or over
- has resided in Australia legally for at least 2 years prior to the parent lodging their visa application
- There are special preparations for a sponsor under the age of 18. If your child or step-child has not yet turned 18, someone else may act as a sponsor as long as they are 18 years old or over and are a settled Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen or an eligible New Zealand citizen. These could include:
- the live-in partner (or spouse) of your child or step-child
- someone who is a relative or guardian of your child or step-child
- someone who is a relative or guardian or the live-in partner (or spouse) of your child or step-child
- a community organization
Balance of family test
If you are a parent applying for a parent category visa, you must meet the balance of family test. This test was designed to determine the degree of your links to Australia.
You will meet the requirements for the balance of family test if:
- at minimum half of your children live permanently in Australia
- you have more children living in Australia than anywhere else
Your visa options for family sponsorship to Australia via Parent Visa
How do you figure out which visa option is right for you?
The following scenarios should help you decide which parent category visa to apply for, given your current circumstances.
Are you applying outside or in Australia? If you answered outside Australia: