408 Visa – Temporary Activity Visa
Updated July 2023
Temporary Activity Visa or better known as 408 Visa allows you to come to Australia to work temporarily in the: Entertainment industry, Participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation, Participate or observe in an Australian research project, Work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement, Participate in high-level sports competitions or sports training programs, Participate in a special programme approved by the department that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits, Do full-time religious work, Be employed as a superyacht crew member, Do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives and participate in a government endorsed event.
Temporary Activity 408 Visa Brief Overview
The Temporary Activity visa 408 enables you to undergo or participate in a temporary event or project and/or undergo short- term work such as:
- Entertainment: work in the entertainment industry – in film, television or live productions in either a performance or behind-the-scenes role, such as directing, producing and other production roles.
- Invited Participant: For people who are invited for stays up to 3 months by an organisation operating in Australia to participate in a specific cultural or social event or events. For example, conferences, sporting, religious or other community events.
- Researcher: To participate or observe in an Australian research project after being invited to do so. To undertake a research activity at an Australian tertiary or research institution related to your field of study.
- Religious Worker: To be a full-time religious worker, serving the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia.
- Special program: To participate in an approved special program that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits.
- Sport: Play, coach or instruct, or adjudicate under contract to an Australian sporting club or organisation. Participate in a high-level sports training program.
- Domestic worker: This temporary visa for people who do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives.
- Government endorsed event: This temporary visa lets you come to Australia to participate in events that are endorsed by the Australian Government.
- Exchange: To work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange arrangement to:
- Allow participants to experience another culture.
- Enhance international relations.
- Broaden participants’ experience and knowledge.
- Superyacht Crew: To be employed as a superyacht crew member onboard a superyacht in Australia.
- Australian Government Endorsed Event: To participate in a government-endorsed major event.
Temporary Activity Visa 408 Australia Latest Updates 2023
If you are a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa (TGV) holder in Australia, you may apply for and be granted a Pandemic event visa with a 2-year stay length instead of a TGV extension if you meet the following criteria:
- If your TGV expires before July 1, 2023, you will be ineligible to apply for a TGV extension on that date.
- You presently have an unfinished 408 Pandemic event visa application, and you were in possession of a TGV at the time you submitted it.
- You must be employed in Australia or have a job offer, and you must apply within 90 days of your TGV expiration date or within 28 days of your TGV expiration date.
Subclass 408 Visa Eligibility
You might be eligible for this visa if you:
- Intend to stay in Australia for three months or less and apply from outside Australia, and you have the support of an organisation or individual in Australia who has responsibility for the events or activities being undertaken who passes the support test;
- Intend to stay in Australia for more than three months and you are sponsored by an approved sponsor for this visa who passes the sponsorship test;
- Meet the requirements of the activity type in which you are applying for the Australia visa 408;
- Have adequate financial support for you and your family while you are in Australia;
- Have adequate arrangements for health insurance while you are in Australia;
- Meet health and character requirements;
- Genuinely intend to remain temporarily in Australia to do the work or activity specified in your application.
Temporary Activity Australia Visa 408 Length Of Stay
- If invited by an organisation to participate in a specific event – 3 months;
- If participating in Australian government activities – 4 years;
- All other activities – 2 years.
How Much Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408) Cost 2023?
For all the streams as of July 2023 is $405 AUD with the exception of the Government Endorsed Event (COVID-19 Pandemic event) stream which is free to apply.
The Visa application charge changes in July every year (at the opening of Australian financial year).
How to apply for Temporary Activity Visa 408?
Applying in Australia
If you apply in Australia you must be sponsored by an approved temporary activities sponsor or sponsor who passes the sponsorship test.
Applying outside Australia
If you apply from outside Australia and you intend to stay in Australia for three months, the organisation or individual in Australia who has responsibility for the events/activities you will be involved in must pass the support test.
If you apply from outside Australia and you intend to stay in Australia for more than three months you must be sponsored by an approved temporary activities sponsor or sponsor who passes the sponsorship test.
The Importance Of Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) For Temporary Activity Visa Subclass 408 Application
The genuine temporary entrant requirement (GTE) is an integrity measure to ensure that the temporary visa programme, including the visa 408 is used as intended and not as a way to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.
Temporary residents are generally not able to extend their stay in Australia beyond four years by applying for this visa. The GTE requirement applies to all temporary activity visa applicants.
The officer assessing the visa will consider whether the individual circumstances of the visa applicant indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia.
You must satisfy us that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily. When assessing the GTE requirement, we will consider:
- Your circumstances,
- Your immigration history,
- Compliance with visa conditions,
- If you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner,
- Any other relevant matter.
While you are in Australia holding the visa 408, you must be able to support yourself and any eligible dependant family members who come with you. You might be asked to provide evidence of funds, such as an employment contract, bank statements or a letter from your financial institution stating your financial position. Allowances, accommodation and other assistance from your employer can also be considered when looking at your ability to support yourself.
You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia after you are granted the visa 408. You will not be covered by Australia’s national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.
You must make adequate arrangements in Australia for health insurance, for the period of your intended stay in Australia, unless you are covered by Medicare. You should ensure that your insurance will provide at least the level of coverage required for the purpose of your stay. Your health insurer could be in either Australia or your home country. This applies to you and any dependent family members listed in the application.
You must meet certain health requirements. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.
You must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age.
If you intend to work as a domestic worker (executive): Provide police certificates when you lodge your application for this visa.
While you are in Australia holding a visa 408, you must be able to support yourself and any eligible dependant family members who come with you. You might be asked to provide evidence of funds, such as an employment contract, bank statements or a letter from your financial institution stating your financial position. Allowances, accommodation and other assistance from your employer can also be considered when looking at your ability to support yourself.
English language requirements
Visa 408 applicants for the special program (from specific countries) should have functional English language (IELTS 4.5 or equivalent). This is to ensure that participants fully experience the cultural and social benefits of the special programme and to ensure occupational health and safety standards are met.
If you apply for the visa 408 in Australia or you apply outside Australia and you intend to stay for more than 3 months you must provide the following from your sponsor:
- Sponsors Transaction Reference Number or Sponsorship Application ID
- Sponsor approval letter or receipt for lodgement of the sponsorship application.
- A written statement from the sponsor that they will meet the sponsorship obligations for you and all dependent family members included in your application.
Including Family in Your Application
All family members who will come with you or who will join you later in Australia as part of your 408 visa must be:
- Included in your visa application (even if they will join you later in Australia)
- Sponsored if your stay in Australia is for more than 3 months (your sponsor must agree, in writing, to sponsor your family members)
Members of your family unit must be able to show that they have access to adequate means of support for their stay and meet health and character requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Temporary Activity Visa 408
ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your Temporary Activity Subclass 408 visa questions!
- Who can apply for a 408 visa?
- You are eligible for Australia visa 408 if you want to come to or in Australia for the following purposes:
- Entertainment industry worker;
- Australian organisation activities participation;
- Australian research project participation or observation;
- Staff exchange arrangement by Australian company;
- Sports competition or training programs participation;
- Department approved special programme participation;
- Religious work;
- Superyacht crew member;
- Domestic work for senior foreign executives;
- Government endorsed COVID-19 event participation.
- You are eligible for Australia visa 408 if you want to come to or in Australia for the following purposes:
- How long can I stay with a 408 visa?
- It depends on the related activity (of the stream).
- If you are invited for a specific event by an organisation you can stay for up to 3 months.
- If you are invited by the Australian government for their event you can stay for up to 4 years.
- If you are invited for all other activities other than previously mentioned you can stay for up to 2 years.
- How much is the cost for a 408 visa?
- This visa cost $405 but the application is free if you are employed or work in a COVID-19 pandemic endorsed event.
- My 408 visa is expiring, can I extend?
- You are generally unable to extend this visa.
- You would need to apply for another visa if you wish to stay longer.
- Can I bring my family with me with a Temporary Activity visa 408?
- You can bring any eligible dependant family members for Temporary Activity visa 408 as long as you have the financial capacity to support your family while in Australia.
408 Visa Three Steps Process
408 visa has 10 streams, therefore you need to make sure that you are eligible and meet additional requirements for the relevant stream that you wish to apply.
You need to have the skills for the intended activity and have a support or sponsor. Sponsorship or support test is also required for subclass 408 visa.
Once all requirement is met, you need to gather the required and additional documents then you can start and submit your Temporary Activity visa application.
You may apply for subclass 408 visa when you are in or outside of Australia.
The processing time for each visa varies between each stream. While most of the stream’s process couldn’t be predicted, some could take from 2 months up to 4 months.
You can bring your eligible family with you under this visa.
Quick Links Related to Temporary Activity Visa Subclass 408
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Ready to start with your 408 visa application?
We’ve helped applicants around the world providing high quality document work for their Temporary Activity Visa 408 application.
Never put your application at risk. Let ONEderland Consulting, the best Temporary Activity Visa subclass 408 expert in Perth handle your case.
Contact us through the form on the side to take the first step of your Temporary Activity 408 Visa Australia.
“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”
Maria Helen De Guzman
Bridging Visa E