400 Visa – Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) Visa
Updated July 2023
The Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400) is a temporary visa that lets you enter Australia to: do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work. In limited circumstances participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests.
Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) Visa (Subclass 400)
This visa is for individuals to visit Australia to:
- Undertake short-term, non-ongoing, highly specialised work in Australia; or
- Participate in non-ongoing cultural or social events at the invitation of an organisation in Australia.
You do not require sponsorship to apply for this visa. However, depending on your purpose of stay in Australia, you must be able to demonstrate that you have the support (generally by invitation) of the business or organisation for which you will be undertaking the proposed work or activity in Australia.
Who Can Apply for 400 Visa?
- You must be nominated by an approved Australian employer for a job anywhere in Australia for a maximum of 3 months ( in certain situations up to 6 months).
- Meet the skills/qualifications criteria for occupations skill level 1-3.
- Have a minimum of 2 years of work experience.
- English language requirements. Variety of test and criteria applicable.
- Meet health and character requirements.
- Spouse and dependent children can be included in the application.
To be eligible for this visa you must be outside Australia to make an application. Some of the stay purposes for which this visa is not intended are:
- Work in an ongoing position;
- Business visits;
- Ongoing religious work;
- Working in the entertainment industry (unless involved in a production that will not be shown in Australia); or
- Training or study.
Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 400) Length of Stay
Generally, the stay period allowed is up to three months but can be considered up to six months in limited circumstances if supported by a strong business case. You can’t apply for this visa in Australia or stay longer by extending this visa.
Temporary Work Visa Subclass 400 Cost
AUD 405 (except in limited circumstances).
The Visa application charge usually changes in July every year (at the opening of financial year in Australia).
Temporary Work Visa Subclass 400 Financial
While you are in Australia, you must be able to support yourself and your family members who come with you to Australia. You might be asked to provide evidence of funds.
Temporary Work Visa Subclass 400 Processing Time
|75% of applications||90% of applications|
|19 days||34 days|
Other Information about 400 Visa
If you are confused about understanding these requirements, we recommend using a professional and trusted migration agent to avoid rejection of the visa. ONE derland Consulting has considerable and varied experience dealing with Australian Visa cases.
Indah is a migration agent who is registered with the Australian Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) with MARN: 0961448. We are regulated in our professional practice and are bound by the profession’s Code of Conduct issued by the Migration Agents Registration Authority.
We understand that applying for a visa to Australia is certainly very complex. Indah Melindasari and the team at ONE derland Consulting will help you to understand what you have to do and also provide the best options for applying for your visa. ONE derland consulting will take the time and compile all documents needed and guarantee that your application is 100% ready before submitting, ensuring a positive outcome for your visa application.
Temporary Work Visa Subclass 400 – Short Stay Activity Frequently Asked Questions
ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent with MARN 0961 448 is here to answer your questions!
- Can I bring my family on this visa?
- You are allowed to include your family with you if they met the health and character requirement.
- They are, however, not allowed to work or study during their time in Australia except for a language training program.
- You will also be required to proof that you are financially able to support yourselves in Australia.
- Will I be allowed to leave and enter Australia for number of times during my visa period?
- It will depend on the entry condition of your visa. If given single entry, you can only enter Australia once.
- Should you leave, you will have to apply for another visa if you wish to re-enter Australia.
- If given multiple entry, you can travel from and to Australia multiple times during the validity of your visa.
- Can I apply onshore?
- You must be outside of Australia when applying for this visa and when the decision is made, including any dependent in your visa application.
- What kind of occupation is allowed to apply for this visa?
- The type of occupation for this visa is limited to a highly specialised skills, knowledge or experience job that can offer some sort of assistance to the Australian business; can’t to an extent be found or provided by any Australian workers; is non on-going position.
- These need to be proved by providing recent CV or resume; related licenses and qualification; overseas employer’s letter or statement that explain your current role and responsibilities attached to it.
- How much is the cost to apply for this visa?
- The application starts from AUD $325. Additional costs apply for any additional applicant aged 18 and over as well as under 18.
Temporary Work Visa Subclass 400 – Short Stay Activity Three Step Process
First Step: Eligibility Check
First thing first: Make sure you check your eligibility to see if you meet all the criteria and requirements for this visa.
Requirements to check including: Skill and experience, financial, health, character, etc. In addition, ask for a contract or letter of offer from your employer.
Second Step: Visa Application
After you make sure that you have fulfilled the requirements, you can then gather all the required and additional documents to complete and support your application.
Finally, once the documents are ready you can start and submit your application. You need to be outside of Australia when you apply.
Third Step: Visa Outcome
This visa generally takes between 26 – 51 days to be granted. If successful, you must enter Australia within 6 months once the visa is granted unless stated otherwise.
This visa will allow you to stay in Australia for up to 6 months. You are only allowed to do certain type of work or activity as conditioned on your visa. You won’t be able to extend this visa to stay longer.
Quick Links Related to 400 Visa
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Let Us Help You With Your Subclass 400 Temporary Work Visa Application
If you are considering applying for this visa, do not risk a refusal by handling it yourself as there will be many assessments for you to fulfill the requirements of the visa.
A visa application requires detailed and complete applications to be granted. Do not toy with your application, when there is a highly professional and trusted migration agent to help you avoid visa rejection.
Contact us through the form below to take the first step of your Temporary Work Visa Australia.
“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”
Maria Helen De Guzman
Bridging Visa E