407 Visa – Training Visa Requirements and Eligibility for 2022
The Training Visa – Subclass 407 Visa allows Australian companies and government agencies to sponsor applicants to participate in occupational training activities and professional development activities.
It also lets people undertake occupational training in Australia to meet occupational registration or licensing requirements; to enhance skills in their occupation; or for capacity building overseas.
Subclass 407 Visa – Training Visa Brief Overview
There are three types of occupational training covered by training visa subclass 407:
- Training required for registration, this is workplace-based training that is required to obtain occupational registration, membership or licensing that is mandatory for an employee to work in their occupation in Australia or their home country.
- Training to improve skills in an eligible occupation, this refers to workplace-based structured training programs that:
- Are specifically tailored and aimed to the training needs of the nominated person.
- Relates to an occupation specified on the list of eligible skilled occupations.
- Involves a nominee who has recent and suitable prior experience.
- Occupational training for capacity building overseas, this is workplace-based training in Australia for nominees who:
- Are currently enrolled in a foreign educational institution and must complete a period of practical training, research or observation to get their qualification.
- Have the support of a government agency in Australia or the government in their home country.
- Maybe managerial or professional employees who require professional development such as face-to-face teaching in a classroom or similar environment in Australia.
The training must be specifically tailored and timed to the training needs of the nominated person.
How To Apply For Australia Training Visa Subclass 407 in 2022
In order to apply for a 407 Visa, the applicant must be sponsored by an organisation. The applicant and the sponsor must follow the application process as follows:
- The organisation must apply to be a Temporary Activities Sponsor.
- The sponsor nominates a person to undertake the training (Commonwealth agencies are exempt).
- The Applicant / Nominee applies for the visa.
- The visa is granted.
The length of sponsorship will be confirmed when the application is approved although it is usually valid for five years from the date of approval.
Holders of an Australia Training Visa may travel outside of Australia and return as many times as they like while the visa is valid. Leaving and returning to Australia does not extend the validity of the visa.
Eligibility For 407 Visa – Australia Training Visa
In the past 24 months, you must have worked or studied full time for at least 12 months, in the occupation that will be nominated.
Eligibility criteria apply to both the applicant and the sponsor.
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for a Training Visa
- Have an approved sponsor;
- Be nominated;
- Be 18 years or older at the time a decision is made on your visa;
- Hold a valid substantive visa (not a Subclass 403, Subclass 771 or a Special Purpose Visa);
- Meet health requirements;
- Meet character requirements;
- Have adequate health insurance;
- Be a genuine temporary entrant;
- Have functional English;
- Sign the Australian Values Statement;
- Not owe any money to the Australian Government or have made arrangements to pay back any money owed;
- Not had a visa cancelled or a previous visa application refused.
Sponsors must meet the following requirements in order for a Training Visa to be granted:
- Provide occupational training directly;
- Be an approved Temporary Activities Sponsor in order to sponsor an applicant of this visa.
Subclass 407 Visa Condition
With this visa, you can only work for your sponsor. You must work at least 30 hours per week and be paid at least the Award rate.
Training Visa Subclass 407 Processing Time
A Training and Research (Subclass 407) Visa – Occupational Trainee Stream is processed in approximately 3 – 4 months.
If your current visa is due to expire, we may be able to lodge your 407 visa so you can remain in Australia on a bridging visa during the processing time.
75% of 407 Visa Applicants: 44 days
90% of 407 Visa Applicants : 66 days
Subclass 407 Visa Cost
As per August 2021, Training Visa subclass 407 cost AUD 315 for the main applicant.
Please be noted that the visa fee might increase in July every year.
Who can sponsor you on visa 407?
As per information mentioned above, your sponsor must be an approved Temporary Activities Sponsor. An approved Temporary Activities Sponsor is either:
- An Australian organization lawfully established and operating in Australia such as a company, body corporate, partnership, non-profit organization or an unincorporated body (other than an individual, sole proprietor or sole trader); or
- An Australia Commonwealth, state or territory government agency; or
- A foreign government agency lawfully operating in Australia, such as a consular or diplomatic mission, foreign tourist or media bureau, trade office or other foreign national government entity; or
- An international organization recognized by Australia and lawfully operating in Australia, such as the United Nations; or
- An organization that operates a superyacht, or the owner or captain of a superyacht; or
- A sporting organization lawfully operating in Australia; or
- A religious institution lawfully operating in Australia.
Your sponsor must also be able to show that they can directly provide training, unless they are a national Australian Commonwealth Government agency or have an exemption. The exemption applies if:
- The sponsor is supported by an Australian Commonwealth Government agency;
- The sponsor is identified in the legislative instrument;
- The occupational training is provided as outlined in the legislative instrument.
Can I stay longer in Australia by extending my Training Visa?
You cannot extend your subclass 407 visa should you wish to extend your stay in Australia. The only way to extend your stay legally in Australia is by applying for another Australian visa subclass after your training visa expired.
Can I Apply for Permanent Residency After 407 Visa?
Unfortunately, 407 visa does not offer you a permanent residency pathway. However, if you are interested in getting the Australian Permanent Residency, you may try to apply for a temporary resident visa first.
There are some temporary working visa subclasses that provides a pathway to permanent residency, such as Temporary Shortage Skill Visa (subclass 482) and all visa subclasses under General Skilled Migration program.
Please be noted that you must meet the requirement for these visa subclasses.
Other Details For Training Visa Subclass 407
Although the process is quite similar to the Temporary Employer-Sponsored Visa (Subclass 482), the Australia training visa subclass 407 is not designed to fill labour shortages and is, therefore, 407 visa is not an appropriate visa for persons whose sole intention is to undertake work.
However, subclass 407 visa does allow the visa holder to undertake occupational training with a sponsoring organisation that is consistent with the purpose of the visa granted.
If the sponsoring company is not a Government Agency, the application process comprises three stages; sponsorship, nomination and visa application.
This means that before applying for subclass 407 visa, you must first be nominated by a company that is eligible to sponsor visa holders on this program.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Subclass 407 Visa
ONE derland Consulting managing director and also registered migration agent, Indah Melindasari, B.Com (MARN 0961 448) is here to answer your Training Visa 407 questions!
- What kind of training is eligible for 407 visa?
- Subclass 407 visa is only for occupational training purposes. There are three types of occupational training that are eligible for this visa: For registration purposes, to improve skills in an eligible occupation purposes, and for capacity building overseas purposes.
- The latter includes overseas qualification, government support, and for professional development.
- Can I bring my family with me with 407 visa?
- You can bring your family along with you when you come to Australia or they can come afterwards using the subsequent entrants’ stream.
- Your family needs to meet the health and character requirements for 407 visa too.
- As a subsequent entrant, your family needs to be listed on the nomination form if the sponsor is not from the government entity and provide a letter of sponsor for confirmation.
- Can I apply for 407 visa while I’m in Australia?
- You can apply for 407 visa while you are in or outside of Australia.
- If applying while you are in Australia, you must be the holders of a valid temporary substantive visa (excluding Subclass 403, Subclass 771, or Special Purpose visa).
- If you don’t have any substantive visa, your previous visa must not be the excluding visa the mentioned visas and you must apply for this visa within 28 days after the last substantive visa expired or after your appeal for visa cancellation was rejected.
- How much does subclass 407 visa cost?
- Subclass 407 visa costs AUD $310 for the main applicant. Additional cost apply for any dependent included (18 years, over or under).
Australia Training Visa Three Steps Process
A sponsorship application by the employer (the employer needs to be a lawfully operating business, meet local labour and employment practices, be viable to sponsor from overseas).
After your nomination is approved, you need to make sure that you have fulfilled the requirements and gather all the required documents to complete your visa application.
Finally, once the documents are ready you can start and submit your application.
The processing time for the subclass 407 visa is around 5 months. If successful, you will be allowed to stay up to 2 years.
This is a temporary visa with multiple entry condition. You will not be allowed to extend for training visa subclass 407.
Subclass 407 Visa Quick Links
Share This Information, Choose Your Platform!
Let Us Help You With Your Subclass 407 Training Visa Application
We’ve helped couples around the world, providing high quality document work for their Australia training visa application.
Never put your training opportunities at risk. Let ONEderland Consulting, the best Australia Training Visa visa expert in Perth handle your case.
“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”
Maria Helen De Guzman
Bridging Visa E