🚨🚨 Instant Visa Recommendations 🚨🚨 Just answers a few simple questions and get Australian visa recommendations instantly.

How To Transition From Student Visa To 482 Visa to ENS


How To Transition From Student Visa To 482 Visa to ENS

Transitioning a student visa to a work visa in Australia is one of the most interesting pathways to obtain a legal work and stay permit in Australia. So, this time, we are going to discuss a case study from one of our clients who we assisted to get permanent residency transitioning from student visa to 482 Visa and finally to permanent residency through ENS Visa.

In late 2017, 22 year old Aryanto (not in real name) an Indonesian citizen began studying in Australia doing a Diploma of Horticulture in Western Australia using a Student (subclass 500) visa.

Perth felt like home to Aryanto and he would often go into the city after class to find the best cafes to relax at or even study.

He especially adored Perth’s public parks and was amazed by how green and lush the grass always seemed to be, especially compared to his home city Jakarta, where open recreational spaces and greenery was always hard to find.

In late 2019 when Aryanto was about to finish his study at TAFE, he contacted ONE derland Consulting, inquiring about how he can find employment and gain an Australian permanent residency.

After having a comprehensive consultation with our Perth based Senior Migration Agent, Indah Melindasari, and having explained that his end goal was actually to live in Australia permanently; we suggested to convert his Student Visa to Work Visa in Australia by first applying for the Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (subclass 482) then after 2 years, transferring to an Employer Nomination Scheme – ENS (subclass 186) visa via the Temporary Residence Transition stream.

student visa to 482 visa

This pathway would eventually lead to Australian permanent residency.

However, the Temporary Skills Shortage (subclass 482) visa or the 482 visa for short has various requirements which Aryanto would first have to meet in order to be eligible for transitioning from Student visa to 482 visa.

  • Firstly he would need an approved Australian business to sponsor him. Fortunately for him, ONE Derland Consulting, together with our recruitment partner agency, succeeded in finding him the business who is willing to sponsor him on a 482 visa.
  • His occupation would also need to be featured on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). The occupation should be either in STSOL, MLTSSL or ROL. Thankfully, Aryanto’s occupation, “Gardener” is listed on STSOL, so he’s eligible for the 482 Visa – Short Term stream.
  • He would have to meet the relevant skill level and have the relevant qualifications for the position.
  • The minimum salary offered by the sponsoring company (at that time) must be at least AUD $53,900 per annum and in the case that there is an Australian employee in the company, working in the same position; his salary offer would have to be equivalent. This is known as the TSMIT or Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold requirement.
  • With the 482 visa – Short Term stream, he would also be required to undertake an IELTS Test and score at least 4.5 in all components. Aryanto also met this requirement.

482 Visa Application Lodgment

Having met all these conditions, Aryanto arranged for us to find a suitable company and within 2 months, we had secured him a job offer as a Gardener; perfectly in line with his recent Australian Diploma qualifications and passion for Horticulture.

The 482 Visa application is not straightforward. There are several steps Aryanto must pass before finally lodging a 482 Visa application. These include Skills Assessment, Standard Business Sponsorship, and Nomination.

Step 1: Skills Assessment

The first step is Skills Assessment, which aims to assess Aryanto’s qualifications and work experience. It’s to ensure that Aryanto’s background is equivalent to Australia’s standard. Thankfully, Aryanto successfully obtained a positive outcome for his Skills Assessment, so he can continue to convert his Student Visa to 482 Visa.

Step 2: Standard Business Sponsorship

Since Aryanto’s sponsoring company has never sponsored an overseas skilled worker before, they are required to obtain Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS).

We successfully get the SBS approved within 3 months, and it’s valid for 5 years and by holding it, Aryanto’s sponsoring company has the legal right to sponsor Aryanto and any other overseas skilled workers.

Step 3: Nomination & 482 Visa Application Lodgment

The next step is submitting a nomination application on behalf of Aryanto’s sponsoring company. And together with the nomination, we also lodged the 482 Visa application for Aryanto. While it was being processed, immigration provided him with a Bridging Visa. The Bridging Visa allows him to live and work legally in Australia while waiting for the decision for his 482 Visa.

Bridging Visa allows him to live and work legally in Australia while waiting for the decision for his 482 Visa.

And with our professional support, it only took one month for both the nomination and the 482 Visa to be granted.

Last step to get Australian PR: ENS (subclass 186) Visa

Aryanto then followed our advice and last February 2021, we helped him apply for the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) Visa after having worked full time in that same company for 2 years.

We suggested Aryanto to gain his permanent residency by lodging Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) – Temporary Transition Stream as Aryanto meets the following criteria:

  • He was still under 45 years of age
  • He successfully obtained positive Skills Assessment
  • He was sponsored by the same employer for his 482 Visa
  • He successfully obtained “Competent” English requirements
  • He held a valid and active 482 Visa

And with our professional assistance, Aryanto got his ENS (subclass 186) visa in 1 month after we submitted the application.

That’s the story of Aryanto who obtained his permanent working visa after transitioning from student visa to 482 visa.

The possibilities to do what Aryanto had achieved are still wide open.

Book Your Consultation - 100% Money Back Guarantee 2

Are you the next one to fulfill their wish to live and work in Australia?

Mrs. Indah Melindasari, our registered migration agent will help you strategize the best plan to get your preferred Australian visa.

We lay an actionable step by step plan which each step brings you closer to staying and working in Australia.

Those plans are backed with more than 10 years professional experiences of succeeding in handling many complex visa cases from clients all over the world.

We are complex visa specialists. As a registered Australian migration agent with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA), we are regulated in our professional practice and bound by the profession’s Code of Conduct issued by the Migration Agents Registration Authority.

Take the first step and get in touch with us. Our team members are professional and honest and speak various languages, such as Mandarin/Chinese, Bahasa Indonesia, Arabic, Japanese, and Thai. Contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone at 1300 827 159.

Alternatively, you may book your consultation online, and it is backed by our 100% Money Back Guarantee Program.

Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!

Ready to start your visa application?

DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Indah Melindasari, B.Com

Lead Migration Agent - MARN 0961 448

1300 827 159

Contact Form EN

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted.

Indah Melindasari Registered Migration Agent in Perth - Migration Agent Perth - ONEderland Consulting