🚨🚨 Instant Visa Recommendations 🚨🚨 Just answers a few simple questions and get Australian visa recommendations instantly.

Subsequent Entrant Visa – All You Need To Know 2024


Subsequent Entrant Visa – A Guide to Stay in Australia With Your Family

A subsequent entrant visa allows you to live, study and work in Australia with your family members who are already immigrating. This type of visa allows you to join your family who is the main primary applicant for any visa and has already established themselves in Australia at a later date. A subsequent entrant visa has specific processing times that could differ on primary applicants.

Subsequent entrant visa allows the main primary applicant to add their parents or another family to their application; it’s not available to any temporary visas that already had their pathway to any condition of another permanent resident visa.

There are some subsequent entrant visas for students and workers that want to study and live in Australia. Check below if you are eligible for the Subsequent entrant visa.

What is a Subsequent Entrant Visa?

Subsequent entrant visa is a type of visa that is specifically designed for you as a family member of an eligible temporary visa holder. Family member here refers to:

  • De facto partner/ spouse
  • Children (biological/adopted) between age 18-23
  • Dependent of the children above

Your initial plan might be to not join your family to migrate to Australia. However, due to some changes in your circumstances, you must migrate with your family member but at the same time your family member is only a temporary resident in Australia.

In this case, you may be able to lodge a Subsequent Entrant Visa for yourself. The subsequent entrant visa is available for below visa subclasses:

If your family member holds one of the visa above, you may join your family members to migrate to Australia.

We will explain in detail the requirements for each visa below.

Subsequent Entrant Visa

Requirements and Cost for 500 Visa Subsequent Entrant

You can apply for a subsequent entrant visa 500 to join your family in Australia. Before applying for this visa, you must make sure that your family member has declared you in the application.

But what if I was not planning to migrate with them in the first place?

Even though your initial plan is to not migrate with them, they must still declare yourself as their family member in the application. You can’t apply for this visa if they did not declare you in their application.

You are considered a member of the family unit if you are:

  • the spouse or de facto partner of the main applicant
  • dependent child of the main applicant’s spouse or de facto partner. You must be below 18 years old.

Other than meeting the above condition, you must also meet the health and character requirements as well as showing yourself as a genuine temporary entrant.

The cost for visa 500 subsequent entrants is AUD 700. The cost might change in July every year.

Read more: Australian Government Lifts the Limitation of Working Hours for Student Visa Holders

Subsequent Entrant Visa 485 Requirements and Cost

Subsequent entrant visa 485 is for the family members of the visa 485 main holder. It allows you to stay in Australia for as long as the validity period of your family member’s visa.

There are no specific requirements for the 485 visa subsequent entrant. To lodge this application, you can be in or outside Australia, but you must not be in the immigration clearance.

You can still be granted the visa even after your family member’s visa 485 is granted

There is no additional cost for the Subsequent Entrant visa 485.

You can learn more here: Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 | How To Apply

Subsequent Entrant Visa Requirements

482 Visa Subsequent Entrant Requirements

482 Visa is a temporary work visa with a basis of sponsorship from eligible Australian companies. If you plan to join your family member who holds a valid 482 visa, you can consider applying for a subsequent entrant visa. Before applying for the visa, make sure you have met the following requirements:

  • have a partner (spouse or de facto partner) or parent who holds valid 482 visa or 494 visa
  • be nominated by the sponsor of the main applicant
  • have adequate health insurance
  • meet health and character requirements
  • hold a valid visa if you are onshore

The cost for 482 visa subsequent entrants would depend on the main applicant’s visa stream (short term, medium term or labour agreement stream).

However, if the main applicant holds 457 visa, then the subsequent entrant visa cost would be:

  • base application charge – AUD2,690
  • additional applicant charge for applicants 18 and over – AUD2,690
  • additional applicant charge for applicants under 18 – AUD675

read more: Guidelines from 482 Visa to PR in 2022: How Much Does It Costs and What Are the Pathways?

494 Visa Subsequent Entrant Requirements

The requirements for 494 visa subsequent entrant are as follow:

  • be under 45 years old
  • have a family member who holds a valid 494 visa
  • be nominated by the sponsor/employer of the family member
  • have at least Functional English level
  • meet the character and health requirements

The cost for the 494 visa subsequent entrant is AUD 4,240. However, if you could not meet the Functional English level, you will be required to pay an additional cost of AUD 4,890.

The cost might change in July every year.

How do I know that I am eligible for subsequent entrants?

It usually depends on you as the subsequent entrant applicant and your relationship with the main applicant, like your spouse or parent. It is required that;

  1. The dependents may be legally married or in a de-facto relationship with the primary applicant or be the child of the primary applicant.
  2. You will also need to meet standard visa application requirements, including health and character checks (such as a police clearance certificate), English language proficiency test results (such as IELTS or TOEFL) and any other documents required by the department or requested during the visa application process.

If you wish to check your eligibility, please get in touch with us via email at [email protected] or phone at 1300 827 159.

You have prepared enough, then what do you need to do more?

Actually, the critical thing is to prepare to demonstrate your relationship with the main primary visa applicant; we all know it is such a long journey to go, as described below:

  • The physical evidence of your relationships with your primary main applicant,
  • You also need proof of financial support for the applicant (such as bank statements or a letter of undertaking from the main applicant)

What if I’m in a de facto relationship?

You also need to prepare the evidence documents. If you are in a de facto relationship with the primary visa holder, you will need to provide documents such as joint bank statements, lease agreements, utility bills, or other evidence of cohabitation.

Learn more here: Proving a De Facto Relationship: Partner Visa Australia 2022

  • Prepare other documents: Depending on the circumstances of your relationship, you may be asked to provide  additional documents, such as divorce papers, death certificates or other relevant documents.

You must be a holder of your valid passport or other travel documents. This is the basic but the most important one whenever you apply for any visas in Australia (even in other countries).

It’s important to keep in mind that the requirements and process for demonstrating your relationship with the primary visa holder can change and vary. Now that is a long journey, and it doesn’t seem very easy when you aren’t guided by a professional. We’re telling you the solutions here:

Book Your Consultation - 100% Money Back Guarantee 1

Looking for professional assistance to join your family in Australia? ONEderland Consulting is ready to assist you

Our visa specialists at ONEderland Consulting will assist you with your subsequent entrant visa application. We have a 98% success rate and are one of Australia’s most highly recommended migration agents. Read our 4.9* score customer reviews.

We are complex visa specialists. As a registered Australian migration agent with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA), we are regulated in our professional practice and bound by the profession’s Code of Conduct issued by the Migration Agents Registration Authority.

Take the first step and get in touch with us. Our team members are professional and honest and speak various languages, such as Mandarin/ Chinese, Bahasa Indonesia, Arabic, Japanese, and Thai. Contact us through email at [email protected] or via phone at 1300 827 159. Alternatively, you may book your consultation online, and it is backed by our 100% Money Back Guarantee Program.

Share This Article, Choose Your Platform!

Ready to start your visa application?

DHA recommends for people who wants to obtain Australian visa seeks migration agent help for their visa application to reduces the risk of refusal. We are here ready to help you so you don’t waste your money, time and chances migrating to Australia.

“Massive thanks to all the team specially Indah and Jamie. My visa conditions was very complicated but they did a great job. Definitely one of the best.”

Maria Helen De Guzman

Bridging Visa E

Indah Melindasari MARN 0961 448

Indah Melindasari, B.Com

Lead Migration Agent - MARN 0961 448

1300 827 159

Contact Form EN

By submitting my data I agree to be contacted.

Indah Melindasari Registered Migration Agent in Perth - Migration Agent Perth - ONEderland Consulting